Changes between R1200GS 2004 model and 2005 model

bilby-2007

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am trying to find exactly what changes occurred between the original R1200GS (MY2004 in my part of the world), and the first update model (MY2005). So far, I can only identify the changes to the centre stand and the side stand. Were there any other changes made????
TIA
Bill

Short of seeing the factory documentation, or the relevant reprom CD there could be a lot.

What is it in particular that you want to know about?

That might make it a bit easier :)

I just wanted to know the significant changes. So far I have found the following;
- Centre stand moved slightly to the rear and changed from curved cenre bar to a straight bar
- side stand changed shape
- perhaps color choices of bodywork.
- shock absorbers changed from White Power to Showa
- changed the muffler from a better flowing SAM unit in 2004 to the more restricted unit in 2005. The first 2004 muffler had a valve unit on the inlet end that opened up the flow at higher revs.

I just wanted to know the significant changes. So far I have found the following;
- Centre stand moved slightly to the rear and changed from curved cenre bar to a straight bar
- side stand changed shape
- perhaps color choices of bodywork.
- shock absorbers changed from White Power to Showa
- changed the muffler from a better flowing SAM unit in 2004 to the more restricted unit in 2005. The first 2004 muffler had a valve unit on the inlet end that opened up the flow at higher revs.

As only you know what is significant I suggest you look at the realoem website and compare the items and years.

According to the site the shocks changed in 2006 - no change in the muffler if I understand the site correctly.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select?product=M&archive=0&series=K25

If remember correctly the first 1200 didn’t have a drain for the shaft as it was sealed for life. JJH

Thank you all for the replies. I have all that I need now.

Prhaps if you had asked specifically what you wanted to know, you would have got what you required a little easier ;)

Despite what its seems were quite a friendly & helpful bunch :)

If remember correctly the first 1200 didn’t have a drain for the shaft as it was sealed for life. JJH

You had to disconnect the Paralever bush and tilt the FD case back so oil could drain out of the speedo sensor/fill hole. Slightly more hassle than the drain screw, but it would help to circulate grease around those expensive needle roller pivot bearings.

Front brake discs might have gone from rounded to flat faced mounting screws.

I have 2005 which has the curved/awkward centre stand.
Don't think I have a valve in the exhaust - it's in the loft in any case
Only havew basic dash - no temp or consumption figures etc, just flips to 50 mile to dry countdown
FD need tipping to drain

Feel free to ask any other details

Back
Top Bottom