2011 RT engine problem after low oil

Rideon

Reaction score
Hi all

My 2011 Rt has suddenly started doing a different engine noise and it gets stronger after it rides for some minutes, it starts around 2000rpm and it also seems to be vibrating slightly more, not much but noticeable

Around the same time this happened the oil level alert showed on the display and after checking the eye glass I noticed it was empty, bought oil immediately and it took one litter to level almost to the top of the glass

Bike now seems just slightly less responsive on low and high revs and apart from the different noise what I really notice is that it has lost a lot of engine braking when decelerating, I am used to slow it down with the engine and now it takes a long time to lower the rev's so I am sure something is not right

A mechanic friend of mine assured me it's not the crankshaft, connecting rod or piston and the bike makes no smoke at all. He said it might be some faulty cam tensioner that missed a step but without certainty as he is not acquainted with these engines

Temperature is fine too and hasn't over heat

I called BMW and they told me it is strange but shouldn't be related to the oil level as it is common for these engines to loose 1 litter between checkups, I asked if it could a faulty spark plug and they said not very likely.

Up until now the bike has been fantastic, never had an issue and it pushed really well.

Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this problem before I take it to BMW for diagnostic ?

I made some videos of the problem

https://tinyurl.com/y3kkzovl

https://tinyurl.com/y46svucq

https://tinyurl.com/y4f8939p

Any help really appreciated

Thank you

Bruno

It would be worth doing a compression test,
Engine braking relies on resistance from pumping pressure,
Have a look in the cylinders with a borescope while you are there,

It would be worth doing a compression test,
Engine braking relies on resistance from pumping pressure,
Have a look in the cylinders with a borescope while you are there,

Yes, I am going to do the test later today, dreading it

Well from your video (I could only get one of them to play). It sounds perfectly normal. Adding 1 litre to bring it up to the top of the sight glass is not that bad. That means there would have been plenty of oil in the sump where the pick up is.
I really don't think you have a problem.
If you have a new vibration, I would check things for tightness (exhaust silencer to footrest mount and to downpipe mount springs to mind). Also, you may be at the point where the tyres are starting to induce vibration into your ride.

Well from your video (I could only get one of them to play). It sounds perfectly normal. Adding 1 litre to bring it up to the top of the sight glass is not that bad. That means there would have been plenty of oil in the sump where the pick up is.
I really don't think you have a problem.
If you have a new vibration, I would check things for tightness (exhaust silencer to footrest mount and to downpipe mount springs to mind). Also, you may be at the point where the tyres are starting to induce vibration into your ride.

That's strange I can open all 3 without problem on a different browser and there shouldn't be any problem they're uploaded into my cloud space

After I put 1l oil level was about 1mm before totally covering the eye glass

I just did a compression test with a friend of mine who has the machine and the results were 175 on one cylinder 160 on the other one is this good or bad ?

We also noticed that the spark plugs have wear signs on the center rod and they weren't very tight either they were almost loose in fact, and bike is backfiring a lot so I think they must be on the way out

Apart from a clanking sound for 15 seconds or so this morning when I started it up the ride to my friend's house and back was smooth and normal although I do notice it's not pushing as strong as it was there is definitely a new not very loud tic tac sound but on the other hand the engine braking power does not seem so bad today. I have ordered new spark plugs should be here tomorrow let's see how it goes

Regarding the vibration I do notice that there is a slight leak on the exhaust pipe near the the probe, think it might need some exhaust paste

I'm thinking maybe some valve needs some tuning or something

Thank you very much guys your help much appreciated

Btw I'm not new to the forum I've been registered for several years and participated on a few threads but been away for some years as I had a GSA that I sold about 4 or 5 years ago because of newborn son but I missed riding so last year I bought this Rt which I am really loving it is a wonderful machine to ride

But when I tried to login with the user had before I got email not recognized so I registered again

Bike has been parked while I am waiting for bmw's service next week but today I took it to another mechanic and did another noise test video right after starting the engine this is the noise it makes on cold start https://youtu.be/HxSjNlgMrwQ

After about 10 minutes riding noise went away and when I reached the mechanic workshop noise was normal although I did notice a slight difference, mechanic said it sounded normal. After about an hour when I started the bike to leave it was doing it again, although not so loud as on cold start.

I'm wondering can the noise go away when it is big end bearing failure or piston slack or crankshaft ?

I have replaced the oil oil filter and spark plugs

Back
Top Bottom