Spark plug - getting out/getting in!

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Did my main plugs, but is the secondary, underneath plug a different size spanner? I used the long tube in the BMW toolkit for the main ones, no problem (normal socket plug spanner wouldn't go down the hole!) I tried to get a plug socket on the underneath ones, but couldn't find one that fits - tried two different iszes that are in my box of tools. The normal size for cars, inboard boat engines and the like, a smaller one that does ther lawnmower and is probably the right size for the main plugs, but is too good a socket to fit down the plug hole on the 1150.....

So, what do I need just to swap these old secondary plugs out please? The replacements are here, in their pruple boxes, feeling unloved and unemplyed, while the old ones have holidays booked for celebrating going into retirement! :thumb

You need to get a thinner socket or file a bit off the box spanner.

It doesn't have to be a plug spanner/socket..... Just use a long/deep reach socket.

Can you lie on your back beside the bike? That's how I usually get at them!

But I can't see the size to use that will fit the gap around the socket head - the flats of the plug are easy to find against a new one - it is one that fits the space that is my problem.

But I can't see the size to use that will fit the gap around the socket head - the flats of the plug are easy to find against a new one - it is one that fits the space that is my problem.

Try various sockets until you get one with a small enough outside diameter that fits.

Try various sockets until you get one with a small enough outside diameter that fits.

I have two sets... a 1/2" drive and a 3/8th drive..... neither provided one. So I need to go and buy one that works, hence why I need to know what to go and buy! It is a 20 mile ride to the shops that sell such things... either Stoke, Derby or Burton, possibly Stafford but I tend not to go to Stafford.

Super job - thanks guys. Off to have another go after a bite to eat, to let her cool down a bit, so I don't burn myself! Done 220 miles this morning, just for the sake of it for once. Peakland perambulation and a bit of straying off my patch!

It does, I used mine the other day.

It is the crash bars preventing it from going in... it is a massive fight to take the sump guard and bars off, well not so much getting the sump plate off as getting it back on again.... it needs a shorter socket than the underseat kit one, so as to clear the crash bars.

16mm long reach, thin wall... off to phone around a bit before I head off.

Hi Simon you need a 16mm long reach thin wall spark plug socket , here is a link to one on eBay :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-0...914836&hash=item48b324dcce:g:uDAAAOSwpZNcdojX

This will fit the NGK 7168 (DCPR8EKC) Secondary (lower) Spark Plugs or equivalent other brand

Note that the primary plugs are different - NGK BKR7EKC-N or equivalent

PERFECT - I got a 3/8th one from the local tool shop - nothing special, a Sealey, which will be fine for the number of times it will get used. All done.
Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom