Fork baffle

wpm

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi guys my wife's f800gs has a fork baffle that stops the noise and crap coming up the tunnel from the front wheel. Dose anyone know if there is such a thing for the 1200?

I’ve never noticed that there is one since my 2006 GS up to my 1250

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never seen one for the 1200 but it's a great idea so noticeable when it's not on her bike lots more wind and noise. De good to have one on the 1200.

I've been weighing up the possibility of making one as I think it would get rid of a lot of road noise, but I think the Telelever would complicate it a bit.

I have a spare of my wife's bike and I may see if I can Jerryrig one

Hi guys my wife's f800gs has a fork baffle that stops the noise and crap coming up the tunnel from the front wheel. Dose anyone know if there is such a thing for the 1200?
I answer to your question, the baffle isn’t fitted to the 1200. As you will see from your wife’s bike the 800 is fitted with upside down forks so the baffle is secured in a position that is not affected by suspension travel. The suspension on the 1200 on the other hand, may have the fork sliders moving under suspension compression into the place where the baffle would be ideally situated. I did once try to fabricate a baffle using a large car wash sponge and it did reduce the road noise and wind roar but it looked awful - kind of like a chunk of sponge jammed between the forks. Maybe a sheet of neoprene would work better.
Alan R

I made one for my 1200.
It was really tricky to get the shape right; I spent hours measuring, marking and trying to remember basic geometry lessons from school. I had a few attempts using cardboard, then bought some abs and made the final piece.
It makes a massive difference... The wind and road noise that hits under your chin is all gone.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Can just about be seen here...
689d56ac9c7fd1b1f9c410dea9863605.jpg

Very interesting. There is a lot of wind and road noise comes up from the front of the GS compared to other bikes i've had.

It's held in place with a couple of stainless screws. I also doubled its thickness at the rear edges, so it is supported above the radiator guards.

Sorry, I don't have a pattern... Well, not an accurate one. The final piece needed a bit of tickling once installed.
I could remove it and trace around it at some point though.

Good job you’ve done there Stanley :thumb2 Has it made any noticeable effect to handling at speed, or engine temps (as BMW will have considered the airflow in its aerodynamics and also engine cooling through the radiators.).

Good job you’ve done there Stanley :thumb2 Has it made any noticeable effect to handling at speed, or engine temps (as BMW will have considered the airflow in its aerodynamics and also engine cooling through the radiators.).
If anything, it will push more air through the radiators. No affect on handling at any speed (it's a tiny bit of plastic that doesn't really have that much air flow past it... Certainly not when compared to the overall shape of a GSA!)

I think BMW might not fit them because of the consequences of failure, or of owners misfitting them... ie loss of steering.

Great Solution for a Fork Baffle

Stanley's solution is elegant and simple - and I imagine very effective. I just sold my 1150GSA and bought a 2018 1200gsa, and find this new bike to be much louder than the 1150, so much so that I am actively looking for solutions to reduce the noise travelling up from the gearbox which I understand is now located under and in front of the engine in the wasserboxers, versus behind the engine in the oil cooled models.

And yes, I agree that the fork tunnel seems to channel both gearbox and tire noise directly to the rider.

When I saw this baffle it appears to be a great solution. So if Stanley could provide a pattern I would definitely make one of these for my GSA, and also put some black dynamat on top of the plastic piece to further reduce the noise.

I live outside Chicago in the states, and can report that quite a few GS'ers on this side of the pond would also appreciate your pattern and thoughts on how you fabricated this baffle - and I will be sure to pass it on.

Thanks
Mark (aka DoorCounty)

got to say that these are needed... come home from Irealands west coast last year it was chucking it down so just sat on the motorway to Dublin.. and all I could see where two plumes of spray coming up through the fairing and over each shoulder LOL... and thats with a front mudguard extension on. Got me thinking of my old R100RS that was closed in here and rubber gaiters around to folks to close those holes also.... Would be a great idea to get something made ;)

Back
Top Bottom