Editing for YouTube

Daddy2coull

Reaction score
Planning to make some vlogs on a GoPro 7 black intended for YouTube. I’d like a completely separate pc for this but thought about buying a cheap second hand one just to keep initial costs down. What’s the basic spec I need to keep me going? I’m about 15 years out of touch with pc’s so please be gentle.

Don't do video editing on a cheap pc, it just doesn't work. You need lots of ram and a good graphics card or rendering the video will take forever. Barring high end gaming it's about the last taxing thing a person can do on a modern PC that taxes them.

i've been offered an i5 2.9ghz 8gb ram and a 1gb nvidia graphics card, would that be enough or do i need more?

not yet bought a pc, but i think windows is the way i'm going purely down to cost. i'd prefer a mac but too pricey not knowing if i'll enjoy editing yet.

Loads of good free video editors avaliable for Windows. Top of the tree is davinci resolve. The new v6 has specific work flows for vlogers. It is high end software and has a learning curve though. If you are doing short videos then maybe just use the gopro software and see where you are at in a few months. Your pc spec is about minimum. Don't get me wrong, anything will technically work but it just takes a long time to render and the live view isn't very fluid. 2 monitors is a good idea as well.

Loads of good free video editors avaliable for Windows. Top of the tree is davinci resolve. The new v6 has specific work flows for vlogers. It is high end software and has a learning curve though. If you are doing short videos then maybe just use the gopro software and see where you are at in a few months. Your pc spec is about minimum. Don't get me wrong, anything will technically work but it just takes a long time to render and the live view isn't very fluid. 2 monitors is a good idea as well.

i've no idea if i'll be doing this long term or if its just a fad, my daughter would also like to make a dance video for school!!!

what spec do you suggest i use as a starting point?

i've been offered an i5 2.9ghz 8gb ram and a 1gb nvidia graphics card, would that be enough or do i need more?

That spec is similar to my windows laptop. I use Vegas editing software which isnt to hard to work out as there are loads of youtube videos to help.
Editing is fast and smooth but it does take a few hours to render a 30 minute video.
Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom