Another TopBox Question

Watty100

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Myself and SWMBO have just been shopping for an RT, to replace our K1200LT, which we bought on her say-so because it has such a comfortable rear seat and backrest.

Having sat on an RT-LC, she found the box to be a bit too far back, leaning her backwards too much for all-day comfort. It seems the back-rest off a K1600GTL will fit, but they are very expensive and we won't know if it does the job until paid for.....

Can the RT-LC topbox be moved forwards by a couple of inches to prop her up a bit more?

Or has anyone else had this problem and found a solution? :nenau

(oddly, she also tried an older twin-cam model which was much better for her)

Which Model RT have you got? We have a Wethead (2017) and find the top box to be perfect, so I am a little confused by your observations. The seating area is quite cramped (in comparison to my lovely old 1150RT).

Which Model RT have you got? We have a Wethead (2017) and find the top box to be perfect, so I am a little confused by your observations. The seating area is quite cramped (in comparison to my lovely old 1150RT).

Haven't bought it yet, I want a wethead but if it its not comfortable on the back, then its a no.
I asked the same question on an LT forum, one bloke had the same issue with his Mrs on the back of a wethead RT, solved by fitting the backrest off a K1600GTL. Not a cheap fix, but if it works then that could be the way to go.

Sorry, I am not understanding.
So, you are looking at a Wethead. You really need to ride the bike before considering these changes. The bike will feel totally different once you both have your riding gear on and are actually moving. I think you are probably looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

So, you are looking at a Wethead. You really need to ride the bike before considering these changes. The bike will feel totally different once you both have your riding gear on and are actually moving. I think you are probably looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
and don't forget a back protector eats up the gap as well

I like to think after 35 years of riding bikes I know what I'm looking for. She who will actually sit on the pillion seat, tried it, with riding gear on as we had ridden to the dealer. I could see she was leaning back onto the backrest/topbox, she didn't like it compared to our LT, or the older RT, both of which sit her more upright. I'm sure you and your pillion love your RT, but we are all individuals and what suits one may not suit the next person. After all, when we bought the LT, we'd tried loads of bikes and she preferred the LT to a GoldWing. No one in their right mind would suggest a GoldWing isn't comfy and luxurious, but those small differences add up to a big difference after an 8 hour day in the saddle :rob

Hi Watty, you are missing my point. A quick 'sit' in a showroom is no substitute for a real world ride. These Wetheads are cramped and you have come from a bike that is far from cramped. You may have 35 years of riding, but you have not ridden the Wethead with the pillion and the luggage fitted. So, my observation is to check it out first. There are indeed options, such as the backpads from the K1600. Even the option of a different brand of top box with back pads - such as the GIVI. If you went down that route you could possibly move the case forward of rearwards a certain amount to suit your pillion.

Hi Watty, you are missing my point. A quick 'sit' in a showroom is no substitute for a real world ride. These Wetheads are cramped and you have come from a bike that is far from cramped. You may have 35 years of riding, but you have not ridden the Wethead with the pillion and the luggage fitted. So, my observation is to check it out first. There are indeed options, such as the backpads from the K1600. Even the option of a different brand of top box with back pads - such as the GIVI. If you went down that route you could possibly move the case forward of rearwards a certain amount to suit your pillion.

We actually found the twin-cam less roomy than the wethead, but her indoors liked it more....I've long given up trying to work out what makes her tick, lifes too short.
Rest assured before any cash changes hands, test rides will be done 2 up and I'm certainly going to take a lot of convincing to go for an older bike. My thoughts are that if it takes a new backrest from a GTL to keep her happy, I'm more likely to get a good deal on one from a Motorrad dealer at the time of purchase rather than going in later to buy one. To think that we were once comfortable (and actually fitted) on a GSX250:D

Back
Top Bottom