GSA tank on a GS

jdh1340

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi...I'm lookin at fitting a 2010 GSA tank to a 2010 GS r1200,has anybody done it and then found a way to get the ECU to recognise the GSA tank so the fuel gauge would work?

Hi...I'm lookin at fitting a 2010 GSA tank to a 2010 GS r1200,has anybody done it and then found a way to get the ECU to recognise the GSA tank so the fuel gauge would work?

What makes you think that a GSA can have a working fuel gauge :)

Make sure you have the float type fuel gauge or and adapter circuit and float of you have the fuel strip.

The GS might have trouble emptying the tank right hand side (depends on how the ECU is set up). On the GSA, the fuel pump runs faster at the bottom 25% of fuel remaining. This gives enough excess flow to drive the venturi pump to shift fuel across the tank to the pump inlet. Symptoms are running dry with 7 (or more) litres still in the tank.

from googling(mostly adv rider quotes) they were saying that the ecu still thinks its a gs and starts warning low fuel with 10 liters left,that fuel pump prob comes up to and some guys said they had to lay the bike down on its left side to get the fuel across

That was a concern I had but it seems to be fine. Last fill up was around 33 litres and the read out said around 40 miles to empty which sounds about right. My bike is a 2012 and the GSA tank and pump etc was off a 2011 so both had float.

The GSA tank does spread a bit so many will take more than 35 litres. Mine needs 34.5 from dry. But that's part of the problem - with that much fuel you do not have any range anxiety then its suddenly too late. The big tank really does need a reliable fuel gauge. No worries if the float won't move until its 1/2 empty as long as it shows exactly what's going on when you are on the last 10 litres to bone dry. That's when you really need to know what fuel you have left.

There is a big thread on AdvRider that explains how the fuel gauge works. It deffo makes the pump work harder at the bottom end of the scale so if you spoof the system with resistors to indicate a full tank you may well run dry with fuel in the tank. The level gauge spoof needs to indicate less than 25% then the pump always runs fast enough to empty the tank. The downside is faster fuel pump wear.

Ya...its a tough call to make...at least on the gs the fuel gauge is fairly ok,calculating the miles would be a pita,the last thing I'd need would be to get stranded with a big empty tank,..that woud be embarasing

The GSA tank does spread a bit so many will take more than 35 litres. Mine needs 34.5 from dry. But that's part of the problem - with that much fuel you do not have any range anxiety then its suddenly too late. The big tank really does need a reliable fuel gauge. No worries if the float won't move until its 1/2 empty as long as it shows exactly what's going on when you are on the last 10 litres to bone dry. That's when you really need to know what fuel you have left.

There is a big thread on AdvRider that explains how the fuel gauge works. It deffo makes the pump work harder at the bottom end of the scale so if you spoof the system with resistors to indicate a full tank you may well run dry with fuel in the tank. The level gauge spoof needs to indicate less than 25% then the pump always runs fast enough to empty the tank. The downside is faster fuel pump wear.

My GSA still ran the tank right down with no problems each time I had a fuel strip failing with it saying I still had a range of 200 miles left after covering over 300. Put in 30-35 litres without any problems at all. It appeared to work fine and exactly the same as when I have a working guage.

My GSA still ran the tank right down with no problems each time I had a fuel strip failing with it saying I still had a range of 200 miles left after covering over 300. Put in 30-35 litres without any problems at all. It appeared to work fine and exactly the same as when I have a working guage.

Mine behaved fine when the fuel strip failed but back then the warning triangle was flashing. When I removed the fuel strip, the very next fill had me running dry with just 27 litres used. I assumed it was the fuel pump so fitted a new one and sure enough the full fuel range returned. Over time I noticed the tank range was ok with slower speed use but fast motorways could have it running dry at around 27 litres used.

It seems very odd that BMW chose to manage the whole fuel supply system from one (flawed) sensor. A couple of thermistors (as Honda use for low level warning lamps) would have been cheap and a far more reliable way for the ECU to know the remaining fuel available.

thanks lads 4 the replies,think I might just sell the gs and buy a gsa if I decide I need a bigger tank...seems to be the easiest option

Back
Top Bottom