False Neutrals

IanPorter

Reaction score
I’m finding that my R80 seems to have a few false neutral issues

Some of it is me not being positive on upshifts after being used to the box on my 1200gs but on occasion when I remember to be more positive with the shift I can feel the gear engage and then disengage again as the lever moves too far and drops into a ‘neutral’ and I have to nudge it back down again

Seems to affect 3rd and 4th more than anything

I’m guessing it’s wear in the box and it’s ready for a rebuild

Any thoughts or do I just bite the bullet and pull it out to take to Mikeyboy for rebuilding 🤔

It isn't going to get any better itself, and the sooner it is fixed the less potential there is for more serious damage.
Just a pity you are just coming in to your prime riding season, and most repairers are flat out and booked well ahead.
Maybe someone has one rebuilt one on the shelf ready to swap ---.

Boffs right I feel. It sounds on the face of it that there is an issue with something in the selector pack, perhaps the nylon bush/runner is breaking up or worn out, or perhaps a bent fork - difficult to say without pulling it out and inspecting it. FWIW if it is just a selector issue you might get away without reshimming/a full box rebuild.

Regardless, check the basics first - gear linkage tight on box and all moving freely? Correctly adjusted? Oil level correct and in good condition?

I have found in the past that changing the oil for fresh can have a significant effect on gear change quality, but in your case this sounds a bit more serious. Might be worth dropping the oil anyway to inspect it, might give a clue as to whats amiss (metal flakes etc).

And lastly, if time is of an issue, Motorworks often have reconditioned boxes in stock, otherwise Mikeyboy

Back
Top Bottom