Advice sought: Calais to Stockholm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobster

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am leaving for a trip to Mongolia in late June and I have six days to get from Calais to Stockholm. Does anyone have any suggestions for an interesting route? I will eventually be catching a ferry to Tallinn to complete the rest of my trip, which is already planned.
Regards
Bob

You have managed to get yourself planned as to how to get from Stockholm to Tallinn and then to Mongolia and now, at the start of June, you are wondering the best (most interesting) way to get to Stockholm for your first leg?

Calais to the Baltic coast, ferry to Sweden or Denmark.... then ride to Stockholm. Ignore any suggestions to see the Millau Bridge on the way.

Calais swing a left follow the sea..:D Stockholm is about 2000 kms away so do it over a 4 day period 500 kms a day nice and easy, will give you a 2 day safety net, and predict tyre change maybe somewhere, now will let Mr knowall Wapping snipe in with his clever crap.

You have managed to get yourself planned as to how to get from Stockholm to Tallinn and then to Mongolia and now, at the start of June, you are wondering the best (most interesting) way to get to Stockholm for your first leg?

Calais to the Baltic coast, ferry to Sweden or Denmark.... then ride to Stockholm. Ignore any suggestions to see the Millau Bridge on the way.

:D

thats a cracker

Oresund Bridge is an intersting sight on two wheels - as long as its no too bloody windy

:D

thats a cracker

Oresund Bridge is an intersting sight on two wheels - as long as its no too bloody windy

The only thing good about the bridge is the aerial shots and the engineering that went into it. The bridge/tunnel itself is pretty boring as I found out last year. And it was windy!! And expensive..... €25 per bike!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The truth is there is very little by way of 'interesting' (whatever that means) roads * between Calais and Stockholm, unless you work by way of making them interesting. At some point you inevitably have to cross the Rhine, which will bring you into the flat lands of the north German plain.

Suggestion:

Calais to Stockholm is roughly a straight line, north east, along the axis: Calais, Hamburg / Kiel, Copenhagen / Helsingborg, Vaxjo, Norrkoping, Stockholm.

be191db04f16ede633938cca82267c0d.jpg

You'll be passing by (or close to) Arnhem, so you can take a day to look at the WW2 museums, if that is your thing. Or skip that and motor straight to Lubeck, on the north German Baltic coast.

Lubeck and its other sister Hanseatic League towns, along with the Flensburg German peninsula and / or along the Baltic coast eastwards as far as Stralsund and Rugen island are all 'interesting' enough and not much traveled by Brits. There again, few Brits go to Mongolia. Some kind soul (that'll be me) put up some suggested routes around the peninsula / along the Baltic coast:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/494659-German-Baltic-coast.

It really annoys Tim O when I do it as nobody must ever be told or suggested a route but hey-ho, that's life. Or you can go and look at one of the many other (small) islands that Germany has along its coast. It's up to you. Obviously quicker to get around using the motorways or main roads or you can bimble about, dreaming of the Mongolian steppes.

At some point you do still have to get from Germany to Denmark, which you can do by road by going up the Flensburg peninsula to Kolding, then turning east via Odense to Copenhagen'ish . From there you cross to Sweden, either via Malmo or Helsingborg. Alternatively, you might find there are ferries that cross directly from Germany to Sweden, via Kiel, Lubeck, Rostock or even perhaps, Rugen; you'll need to check. If there are, you can miss out Denmark. Either way, you are now faced with the near enough flat run to Stockholm. About the only thing of 'interest' (other than Sweden itself) will be the plethora of lakes around Vaxjo.

Me? I'd get from Calais to Hamburg / the German Baltic coast as reasonably quickly as possible, maybe having spent half a day in Arnhem on the way, if time permits. As you don't tell us what time you trundle into Calais, you'll have to work out how best to do that. Then, spend a day on the Baltic coast or working your way up the peninsula.... or working out how to get a ferry to Sweden... then spend the three days'ish that are left getting to Stockholm.

*Actually that's not true, of course. You can find 'interesting' roads anywhere but you have to work at it. North Germany is 'different' to the Alps, as it's flat. That being said, the cross-country roads can be 'intersting' as they are different to say, the Ardennes.

The only thing good about the bridge is the aerial shots and the engineering that went into it. The bridge/tunnel itself is pretty boring as I found out last year. And it was windy!! And expensive..... €25 per bike!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't worry Ghengis Khan won't be going anywhere near it, unless he gets very lost. So lost in fact that he'll doubtless never get to Mongolia. Even if he were, you'll have put him off.

A late change of plan to the initial leg of the journey is the reason for my post. I am meeting others in Tallinn and that leg of the trip is fixed I have not visited Denmark/ Sweden hence my enquiry as I know how well travelled people are on here.

I am travelling on a Yamaha Super Tenere as I find it reliable, comfortable and I won’t have to bugger about with a chain.

Thanks for the advice.

Bobi

Ah, all is now clear. It's an organised trip from Tallinn to Mongolia, starting at the end of the month.

I guess it's this one, perhaps: https://www.peterpanbike.com/trans-siberia-motorcycle-tour

That explains the "How do I now get from Calais to Stockholm on 'interesting' roads?"; it's the bit they didn't tell you. Never mind, it's probably answered above, not least as the bits inbetween the two are near enough flat all the way.

To help you a bit more, load Calais and Stockholm into Kurviger and see what it spits out. Zoom in and out. Look at a (reasonably detailed) map or two; you'll have it cracked by bedtime.

dd872ec3083f11dc421e6689845b74ad.jpg

PS It's not clear why you need to go to Stockholm at all? Are you planning on meeting someone there? If you are not, this simple route of Calais to Tallinn would be more 'interesting' as it would take you up and through the Baltic States and save a lot of buggering about:

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Calais/Tallinn

Click on the link, then scroll down to 'drive' and tap on the arrow.

Or, better still, put Calais and Tallinn into Kurviger and work from there.

622bba31a0d0145bf1d17dce1c858bd5.jpg

Or maybe adopt a bit of this:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...sted-route-through-the-three-Baltic-countries

There are other threads on how to get to Berlin or thereabouts. Have a surf about, you can't break it.

Thread closed overnight by (I assume) Bobster, who must now have settled on his route Calais to Stockholm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom