Error message / ring antenna / 10491

NicD

Reaction score
Had an EWS warning messge on dash after filling with fuel earlier. Cycled ignition and it went away. Plugged in GS911 at home and got error code "10491 Electronic Immobiliser malfunction The fault is not present now"

Looks to me like precursor to ring antenna failure. Two questions:

1. is that right?
2. if so, how to replace ring antenna myself without attaching spare key? Had a quick search but not found anything definitive

One other data point - had tank off for a couple of days while replacing throttle body throttle cables. When refitted tank, initally had a fuel error message with no fuel level displayed which went away when I added more petrol (tank was low, but had a few litres in it when error message displated). May be unrelated, but am mentioning just in case

Help appreciated

To replace the ring antenna you need a replacement ring antenna and two new security screws (and a bit to fit them ;) )

Too remove, drill the heads of the security screws and pull the ring antenna down and off

Use a stud extractor to remove the remains of the security screws

Clean threads, and replace ring antenna, replace security screws to correct torque

Space is limited, so you need to take quite a bit of stuff off

My moneys on a broken wire as opposed to a failed antenna, check out my thread on the topic

In case you need to change the ring antenna, here are snaps from the Reprom. If you use the drill as recommended, only the security head will be removed and the screw shank will be fairly easy to unscrew ... at least mine were as I remember....

Attachments

• Ring Antenna 1.jpg
    Ring Antenna 1.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 1,115
  • Ring Antenna 2.JPG
    Ring Antenna 2.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 1,261
  • Ring Antenna 3.JPG
    Ring Antenna 3.JPG
    239.9 KB · Views: 1,020
Great, thanks both

I think this is the thread you are referencing https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/493560-EWS-warning/page2

The EWS dash message does not come up for me if I move steering to either lock, nor if i pull the loom around. I haven't taken the tank off to check, but given the fuel level sensor and ignition wiring run under the tank together, and givne both issues, it makes sense to check that.

If I do need to replace ring antenna, how to refit the M8 security screws? Looks like there is a BMW socket for the purpose and they are 20Nm setting. Anyone have one of those? Looks like a pain to make one

Great, thanks both

I think this is the thread you are referencing https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/493560-EWS-warning/page2

The EWS dash message does not come up for me if I move steering to either lock, nor if i pull the loom around. I haven't taken the tank off to check, but given the fuel level sensor and ignition wiring run under the tank together, and givne both issues, it makes sense to check that.

If I do need to replace ring antenna, how to refit the M8 security screws? Looks like there is a BMW socket for the purpose and they are 20Nm setting. Anyone have one of those? Looks like a pain to make one

Hammer and small punch ;)

Great, thanks both

Mine started out as the odd ews and then progressed to the full blown variety on full RH lock & straight ahead

The best way to get access is side panels , beak, clocks & tank off that way you can get to the loom and go looking .

I had two breaks and a bit of decidedly dodgy insulation, so i spliced in a new bit of wire

Thanks, three questions - was there any visible external damage to the loom in the vicinity of the wiring issues, was the wiring damage at an obvious bend / movement point - and if so where, and why do you think mine is wiring issue given what seems to be the common ring antenna failure as per the blog entry Bin Ridin posted on your thread? Cheers

And I don't fancy trying to fasten the bolt with a punch. Might see if I can make a small socket to fit if I can't borrow one

I replaced the screws with allen-head screws, since unscrewing the thing does not make the bike easier to start or steal...

I replaced the screws with allen-head screws, since unscrewing the thing does not make the bike easier to start or steal...

makes sense. can drill out hex recess in any case to make it harder, but sounds as if unnecessary. Why are they security bolts at all?!

No Visible damage to the Harness outer sheaths,

The break & degredation were approximatly behind where a large cable tie was.

the wire in question that was broken was in the centre of the bundle ??

I bought a replacement antenna only to find it wasnt the antenna,

Personally i'd rather spend half a day stipping the bike looking for a wiring fault that trying to replace the ring antenna ;)

You can check if the wiring is broken (if you cause the error to occur) with a multimeter. There are only 4 wires on the unit so just check them back to the computer

You can check if the wiring is broken (if you cause the error to occur) with a multimeter. There are only 4 wires on the unit so just check them back to the computer

The ECu is under the tank, which will have to come off, so if its off, its fairly easy to remove the loom sheath and have a close look see ;)

Fault finding approach: two possible causes of fault suspected, have to start with one of them. Ring antenna: known fail point. Loom: no hard evidence of wiring fault on my bike.

It's tail wagging dog to take the loom apart and try to find a fault as that is easier option.

Ring antenna £30 so I replaced that. Can probably infer that problem is wring if it isn't fixed now (although dodgy 2nd RA is also possibility). This is easier option than taking loom apart in case there is a wiring problem (of which there is no evidence as moving loom around and turning bars does not cause or cure the fault).

Key if you do this job is to have good quality drill bits. I tried with a 4mm HSS bit I had to hand and it was of little use. Dug out decent Bosch ones and they took 30 secs to pop bolt head off. Make sure to cover front shock etc.

Stud removal is a pita. EZ outs didn't shift them nor different sets of pliers. Even after heat - there is threadlock on OEM bolts. Small plumbers mat very handy for applying heat in small space.

Ordered a stud removal tool from Amazon yesterday and with a bit more heat it got them moving to point I could turn with grips. Had to remove nose bodywork to get an adjustable on the stud puller.

I did check the loom under headstock. Split in secondary insulation. I cut it back both sides to check wires and none were damaged so I re-wrapped them and refitted. So far no errors but will see - if it is the wiring then likely to come back at some point soon

one other point - not as easy to test continuity as it might be given my electrical skills and loom branches, and if it is a very intermittent fault, chances are a resistance test would show the issue rather than a continuity test, and as I say, with my limited electrical skills that is likely to be a wild goose chase for me. I need some clear and repeatable symptoms for it to be worth my while testing the loom

One other option is to use two small M8 nuts tightened against eash other on the stud to extract it. I tried this but didn't have any small enough to get two on there. And the threads were a bit rough on one side so was hard to get a nut on

When I was loom-chasing, I pulled the multi plug to the ecu and inserted sewing pins into the connector at the relevant pin out number on the wiring diagram then belled out end to end for continuity. Easy.

When I was loom-chasing, I pulled the multi plug to the ecu and inserted sewing pins into the connector at the relevant pin out number on the wiring diagram then belled out end to end for continuity. Easy.

I still fail to see how a continuity test would give conclusive results given the symptoms I described

Following ring antenna replacement error has not returned. Had been intermittent but appeared every few days previosuly. I can't rule out that the RA replacement and moving the loom about has temporarily 'fixed' a wiring fault, but that seems unlikely. I think it's reaosnable to conclude it was a faulty RA

EWS wiring broken

Just fixed mine. Horn off, one fork leg dropped, screen off, instruments off, side panels and tank cover off and tank moved backwards. I found it wasn’t necessary to remove the tank completely.
Big thanks to Santa for his previous posts which highlighted this issue and how to repair it. Saved a lot of time.

Attachments

• 33B3FE68-6624-40CA-868C-8D0194CD9B88.jpeg
    33B3FE68-6624-40CA-868C-8D0194CD9B88.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 190
That looks roughly in location of cable tie to frame under headstock?

Back
Top Bottom