BMW Streetguard Jacket 2018

Big Derek

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone got a Street-guard Jacket latest model no 4 I think ? 2018
Am wondering if anyone can tell me what they think about it?
Particularly the wearing of it on hot days any pros and cons
Also wondered if anyone fitted D30 back protector into the back slot.

Thanks

Has anyone got a Street-guard Jacket latest model no 4 I think ? 2018
Am wondering if anyone can tell me what they think about it?
Particularly the wearing of it on hot days any pros and cons
Also wondered if anyone fitted D30 back protector into the back slot.

Thanks

I have one, bought from this parish, use it in the hot or cold, nice air vents, and liners removable, I removed the back protection because I wear it with a Helite turtle airvest, IMHO if you can get one at a decent price, do not hesitate.

Yes indeed, work well in torrential downpours, and stay dry on outside too so no soggy garments to hang up overnight.

Vents do indeed work well even in 30deg +

I like the way the sleeves zip OVER your gloves, keeping the water out.
Downside the removeable fleece liner, with wind-sealing sleeve inners, can
let a detectable chill up the sleeves in really cold weather.

I recently bought a used Enduroguard jacket too, but will be keeping the Streetguard for colder/wetter days

Has anyone with a 2018 Streetguard found the outer pockets let water in?

I bought on only this weekend (on sale) and today's wet morning commute has seen both outer pockets end up very damp (albeit not sloshing with water). Weather was not what I'd call 'heavy' rain, but over an hour's worth of "typical UK wetness" over a 1hr 40 minute ride.

I'm debating whether or not I need to try to replace it (I was assured that the warranty is still good on it, despite it being a sale item).

Otherwise it's lovely.

I'm a bit miffed because my BMW RainLock trousers leaked too..... but them I can forgive, they're at least 8 years old! :D
(and yes I'll be replacing them)

Has anyone with a 2018 Streetguard found the outer pockets let water in?

I bought on only this weekend (on sale) and today's wet morning commute has seen both outer pockets end up very damp (albeit not sloshing with water). Weather was not what I'd call 'heavy' rain, but over an hour's worth of "typical UK wetness" over a 1hr 40 minute ride.

I'm debating whether or not I need to try to replace it (I was assured that the warranty is still good on it, despite it being a sale item).

Otherwise it's lovely.

I'm a bit miffed because my BMW RainLock trousers leaked too..... but them I can forgive, they're at least 8 years old! :D
(and yes I'll be replacing them)

Did you leave the zips open, and just use the press studs, as the zips seal the pocket

Did you leave the zips open, and just use the press studs, as the zips seal the pocket

No press studs on this version (it's the 2018 version of the jacket) - and yes the 'waterproof' zips were fully up with the zippers tucked into the fabric 'cover' at the top of the movement.

It's gone back to BMW for 'testing'*.

* aka - sling a bucket of water over it before drying it out overnight and checking the pockets. (I suspect, but hope not).

No press studs on this version (it's the 2018 version of the jacket) - and yes the 'waterproof' zips were fully up with the zippers tucked into the fabric 'cover' at the top of the movement.

It's gone back to BMW for 'testing'*.

* aka - sling a bucket of water over it before drying it out overnight and checking the pockets. (I suspect, but hope not).

Just in case anyone else has a Streetguard....

I'm on my 3rd now, soon to be my 4th.

My first one (a red 2018), the outer pockets leaked.
2nd one (a grey 2019) the outer pockets leaked.
3rd one (a grey 2019) the left outer pocket was absolutely full of water this morning, (after less than an hour of rain), right side was perfectly dry - so they can work!

The outer pockets ARE supposed to be waterproof, and obviously I'm getting replacements without argument, so if your outer pockets leak - let BMW know and see about getting a replacement sorted out*. With luck if there's enough warrenty claims they might improve the design on the next iteration.

* Obviously if this is an issue for you. :)

That’s a real shame, I was looking at getting one as they are one of the only manufacturers to offer longer arm and body jackets.

That’s a real shame, I was looking at getting one as they are one of the only manufacturers to offer longer arm and body jackets.

Mine has been fine, with the pockets zipped up and the storm collar attached and done up

I bought a SG4 suit this time last year from Chester Motorrad. Wore it on Sunday through torrential rain for several hours. Dry as a bone including all pockets. The jacket had been fine for a little over a week in Scotland, 10c to 24c. I'm happy with it

I bought a SG4 suit this time last year from Chester Motorrad.

Wore it on Sunday through torrential rain for several hours.

Dry as a bone including all pockets.

The jacket had been fine for a little over a week in Scotland, 10c to 24c.

I'm happy with it

I think people leave the zips undone, been through hours and hours of torrential rain and been fine

My SG4 jacket has been pretty much completely waterproof over the last 3.5 years, but ... I washed it in the spring as I noticed a little damp getting in around the shoulders and was led to believe this happens if not washed regularly. So, duly washed and nikwax rinsed plus a bit of nikwax outer spray for good measure. It's been fine in the "caught in a shower" weather but yesterday coming back from Hull to Angus it leaked like a sieve. The liner jacket was wet (especially on the front, I was wet and the pockets were soaking (luckily only keys in them). This has never happened before and my new SG4 trousers were as dry as a bone.

Have I ruined it? Any advice on how to regain the earlier waterproofness?

My SG4 jacket has been pretty much completely waterproof over the last 3.5 years, but ... I washed it in the spring as I noticed a little damp getting in around the shoulders and was led to believe this happens if not washed regularly. So, duly washed and nikwax rinsed plus a bit of nikwax outer spray for good measure. It's been fine in the "caught in a shower" weather but yesterday coming back from Hull to Angus it leaked like a sieve. The liner jacket was wet (especially on the front, I was wet and the pockets were soaking (luckily only keys in them). This has never happened before and my new SG4 trousers were as dry as a bone.

Have I ruined it?

Any advice on how to regain the earlier waterproofness?

Tumble dry on a low heat

Thanks JB. Don't have a tumble drier but will have to seek out a launderette. Do you know if it will need to be soaked again first or could I just throw it in dry?

Pleased with mine.

Never leaked
Warm enough with the fleece liner and a T
Reasonable venting for an all round jacket - its not a 'vented' jacket but its OK
A bit stiff when I bought it but still comfortable

I got mine in sale so good value. At full price I might have looked at something else to be honest but its a good jacket.

Hope this helps.

jgk

Thanks JB. Don't have a tumble drier but will have to seek out a launderette. Do you know if it will need to be soaked again first or could I just throw it in dry?

I would try it as it is, if it was recently washed

Lowest heat and maybe 15 mins in a dryer

Back
Top Bottom