Consensus of opinion engine oil

sbell

Reaction score
Whats the consensus of opinion on 20w 50 mineral oil as recommended for my 98 r1100rt ? Do you guys who have rode them for years still use mineral oil ? If so which make do you use ? What about high mileage riders - any advantages mineral v semi synthetic ?

Theres a lot of myths about oil but DOES it REALLY make any difference ??

I used semi-synthetic from our local car garage in mine, it still purrs at 150,000 miles. I don't know whose oil it is, they buy it in 40 gallon drums and pump it out into a jug with a rotary hand pump. 10-40 grade is the one I use and it has been fine, but if you were stuck in traffic in the height of summer I would be careful of keeping the temperature down by turning off if stuck in traffic for any length of time.

That's interesting ! I know the temperature when standing could be an issue .Didn't BMW switch to 15-50 when they introduced the twin cam for that very reason ?

API SL, doesn't need to be motorcycle oil, due to the dry clutch.

Synthetic is no advantage if you stick to 6,000 mile changes.

Putoline 20/50 semi in mine. The dealer at the bottom of my rd sells it; so i can walk down to collect if feeling a bit energetic :D. Good price too.:beerjug:

20/50 mineral no problems nice and thick I tried fully synthetic it drank it on the way to Italy and rattled when we got stuck in Germany in boiling hot weather so I dumped the fully synthetic and filled it with ordinary 20/50'

Back
Top Bottom