There was smoke everywhere!

Do the owners theses classic two strokes run them a bit oil rich as a precaution against seizing

Do the owners theses classic two strokes run them a bit oil rich as a precaution against seizing

No worries with modern oils.
In fact, with most modern oils you can use less in a premix (oil in petrol tank) set up with no drama.
The big danger is those who add extra oil to the petrol tank of an autolube 2 stroke, as it creates a leaner mixture and can inadvertently lead to heat seizures or holed pistons.

My mantra is leave them as they're meant to be.

Cheap mineral 2stroke oil = Smoke

Synthetic @ £9 a litre = no Smoke

Still went pop though :(

Fantastic, it`s always a treat to hear the all too rare crackle of a 2-stroke on the road these days.

Do the modern fully-synth 2T oils almost eliminate the smoke`n`stink that used to afflict these bikes back in the day?
I have a paramotor with a 185cc 2T engine and it burns very clean with virtually no smoke or carbon build up when warm running 2.5% premix,
I remember my bikes back in the day with oil almost dripping out of the silencer, my paramotor exhaust tip is almost dry.
Are there any advantages/does anyone run any of these bikes on premix these days instead of the oil pump and tank arrangement?

Here`s a GT250 i had back in the day.
Me and a mate went down to Cornwall on a trip where it shat itself at Lands End.
The cost of getting it back home made it uneconomical so i just leant it against the gate of a field and we both rode home on me mates CB250rs which was a horrible, horrible excuse for a motorcycle.
I often wonder what happened to the GT....

Posted this before

My 1977 KH250 was probably designed to run at 30:1 using the Kawasaki oil injection. I ran it on Castrol power 1 semi synthetic so it smelt like Castrol R.

Every start up was greeted with a substantial blue haze from all three pipes. All the more impressive was the first wide open throttle on a ride. I recon I could fill at least two lanes with blue smoke.

As I used the bike so infrequently one of the the injectors check valves was possibly passing, putting excess oil in the crankcases. Once warm it barely smoked.

Its back up for sale at Venture Classics as we speak if you have just shy of £7k to spend

Ps plugs were always clean

Attachments

• 1F3DBB77-8EE3-4CF9-8B51-F42C101EA97A.jpeg
    1F3DBB77-8EE3-4CF9-8B51-F42C101EA97A.jpeg
    216.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 691E2E51-B036-42D8-B63F-8F6597CACB70.jpeg
    691E2E51-B036-42D8-B63F-8F6597CACB70.jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 120

Back
Top Bottom