ABS Deactivating on 1250 GS

Yes, I understand that, but I want the Pro functionality so want to leave the Pro plug connected. Unfortunately the side effect of that is to make any changes to ABS or DTC permanent which in turn means that I need to know how turn these functions back on manually if I should accidentally turn either or both off. That is what I am struggling with.

OK Fred at least we have cleared that up................;)

Well starting on page 76 (of the 1250 manual) it goes through turning off and turning on ABS, ASC (automatic stability control) and DTC (traction control) so it seems you can turn off ABS. However, having read it and tried to follow it several times I remain somewhat baffled. They also refer to ASC/DTC so I am unclear as to whether these share a warning light because there only seem to be two or whether you only have one or the other fitted/enabled since the manual talks about with and without Pro. Maybe it is ASC without Pro, but DTC with Pro?

I think I'm a fairly intelligent person, so maybe I'm just over-thinking it, but even if I finally work it out, I know I will never remember how it works if it happens again mid-trip. It really shouldn't be this hard, but when designing a human interface to a machine of any sort, once you start relying on the same button doing different things if you short press it or long press it, especially for functions that are not often used, then I think as a designer you have failed.

I will have a look when I get back , but maybe due to the offroad pro plug maybe this when used along with the said button , this may turn off the abs as it would be pointless off road.

I managed to accidentally turn off the traction control and the abs too after I fitted the Pro plug.

It was easy to turn the traction back on, but the abs took a bit of fiddling,

Hmmm. I did exactly the same thing :blast

Yep happened to me at the beginning, and if you keep the Enduro pro plug fitted it remembers the settings when you turn the bike on and off, however, when no plug is attached when bike is turned off and on again all settings go back to standard.......which I find better now, pesky plug is in the toolbox.

I too took the Pro plug off, mine's back under the seat. I couldn't see the point in it. Road, Rain Or Dyna when in Dyna! Just put it Road, Rain or Dyna.

I too took the Pro plug off, mine's back under the seat. I couldn't see the point in it. Road, Rain Or Dyna when in Dyna! Just put it Road, Rain or Dyna.

Yep as no Enduro for me.............:yikes:yikes:yikes:yikes:yikes will leave that to the skilled tossers

I will have a look when I get back , but maybe due to the offroad pro plug maybe this when used along with the said button , this may turn off the abs as it would be pointless off road.

Thanks - any suggestions are welcome, but I guess there are no shortcuts, I'm just going to persevere until I get the hang of it, even if it involves some rides around the block just to see if my changes have worked!

I don't really need the Dynamic Pro and certainly not the Enduro Pro mode, but the problem is that I do want some of the other new Pro features on the 1250, like the Hill Start Pro (the auto activation of Hill Start mode on 5 degree or more slopes) and the new braking assist where if it detects the throttle open more than a smidgin during heavy braking it will just close it electronically to make your emergency braking as effective as possible. There may be other things linked to this too, but I can't think of any more at the moment. It is possible that these are not necessarily enabled by the plug but are available all the time in which case having the plug installed would not be essential. However, on principle, if I've paid for something I want it available, even if I never use it, so I'm going to have to master the ABS/DTC setting process!

Thanks - any suggestions are welcome, but I guess there are no shortcuts, I'm just going to persevere until I get the hang of it, even if it involves some rides around the block just to see if my changes have worked!

I don't really need the Dynamic Pro and certainly not the Enduro Pro mode, but the problem is that I do want some of the other new Pro features on the 1250, like the Hill Start Pro (the auto activation of Hill Start mode on 5 degree or more slopes) and the new braking assist where if it detects the throttle open more than a smidgin during heavy braking it will just close it electronically to make your emergency braking as effective as possible. There may be other things linked to this too, but I can't think of any more at the moment. It is possible that these are not necessarily enabled by the plug but are available all the time in which case having the plug installed would not be essential. However, on principle, if I've paid for something I want it available, even if I never use it, so I'm going to have to master the ABS/DTC setting process!

Fred if you look at the chart below, that pesky plug only does what it says in the last column, ENDURO PRO,

On the later bikes as you get Dynamic Pro as well as Enduro Pro. Also Damping is just Road or Dynamic but you can choose this independently of the throttle mode.

On the later bikes as you get Dynamic Pro as well as Enduro Pro. Also Damping is just Road or Dynamic but you can choose this independently of the throttle mode.

Yes that diagram is a bit out of date as regards the last two iterations of the bike's software. My 2017 1200 had Dynamic Pro, and the 1250 has some other stuff that you only get if you buy the Pro option. What I haven't yet determined is whether this other stuff, like Hill Start Pro, needs the dongle plugged in to work. Could be that the dongle only determines if the Pro riding modes are available.

Could be that the dongle only determines if the Pro riding modes are available.

To the best of my knowledge Fred and on my 2017 Excluse it only adds the Enduro and Dynamic pro option, for serious offroading, that is basically all it does, and as we have said keeps the settings when bike is off and on again, all the rest Hill assist etc is done by software on the bike.

The riding modes “Dynamic Pro” and “Enduro Pro”, are activated by means of a coded plug, and also offer customisation options which allow the character of the motorcycle to be adapted.

https://www.mcnews.com.au/updated-2017-bmw-r-1200-gs-exclusive-edition/

It certainly isn’t a coded plug. It’s a jumper plug. You could do it yourself with a bent paper clip connecting the 2 terminals together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It certainly isn’t a coded plug. It’s a jumper plug. You could do it yourself with a bent paper clip connecting the 2 terminals together.

Yes, the software is already in the bike - the dongle just allows it to run. However, I doubt it is just a wire jumper. I would have thought it is a little more sophisticated, and maybe has a chip in it which gets read by the ECU.

OK, I've had another play with this and think I'm getting the hang of it, and am slightly embarassed that I have found this so confusing! Still think it could be a lot more intuitive though.

It seems like you have to do a series of long presses on the ABS button which will take you through a sequence with the ABS and DTC functions, whereby you can have DTC off and ABS on, or vice versa, or both off or both on, though I haven't made a note of what the actual sequence is. Strangely the TFT display never shows the word ON, it just shows 3 dashes, though it does show OFF against either setting if it is off.

It seems that when doing this if you don't have a TFT then you have to interpret what you have set by the two warning lights. I need to confirm this with a quick ride tomorrow, but it seems that a solid light indicates the function (ABS or DTC) is off, and a flashing light indicates that it is potentially on, but will only actually be active once you start riding and it does a self test, at which point the flashing light should go out.

Not according to this
https://advrider.com/f/threads/how-the-enduro-pro-plug-works.1176671/

Well, well - as you said - effectively Pro riding modes could be enabled or disabled with a bent paperclip. However I suppose this is only provided as an owner convenience so that you can disable it if you don't want it, so it doesn't need to be anything complicated. I would be pretty sure that if you had not paid for the Pro option then it would be disabled in the bike's software and no amount of bent paperclips would turn it on! However - someone will probably prove me wrong on that!

Same for me - new to rhe 1250 GSA - I can not seem to get the ASC and DTC back on.

Back
Top Bottom