Screen advice - what size fits a persons height?

keithquad

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone worked out a ‘theory’ of how tall a person is to what height a screen needs to be to provide adequate protection at motorway speeds?

Situation: wife has now got a GS700, which she loves & feels v much more confident on than the GS650 twin, however the screen provides NO protection.
We are about to go to Spain, do some of the TET (Ive previously done it) & we are wanting a screen which isn’t too big, ideally that could be moved up when on road/down off road.
Whilst the Wunderlich screen does this at £250 its too pricey.

So the question: Has anyone used a clip on extension on the top of the existing screen to provide motorway wind protection? & at only 5 foot 2 she doesn’t need an enormous ‘clip on’, hence the initial question.

I hope someone can offer some thoughts?

i don't think theres a formula as different people like different types of screens and the resulting 'protection'

personally, and I've said it before, the screens with a front mounted, overlapping spoiler seem to work best at shaping airflow over the rider. Even quite a small screen with an overlapping spoiler will provide excellent protection - think Givi Airflow screen (if available for the 700 - It isn't for the 1200, annoyingly)

My wife has the givi airflow from nippy Norman’s, very happy with it as it is adjustable to whatever height is best. She is 5’8, but with the screen on its lower setting may well be suitable.

Gary

Has anyone worked out a ‘theory’ of how tall a person is to what height a screen needs to be to provide adequate protection at motorway speeds? ...
I hope someone can offer some thoughts?
Many years ago in the BMW Club Journal there was an article republished that was originally written i think, in the 1930's :eek: about screens.
(IF i recall correctly :rolleyes:) It read that if it was between 12 3/4" and 13 1/4" away from your nose and the top edge was precisely at "eye level" it produced the best patch of clear air at eye height and highER speeds. Though what highER speed meant in the 30's.... well, i dunno. :nenau
But i've used that as a rough guide ever since (ever since i read it / not since the 1930's! :p ) and it does work. For me.

The add on screen tips do seem to work as well and certainly give you more to play about with til you get it right.
Good Luck. :aidan

Back
Top Bottom