Just thought I’d share this.....

Mark Hooton

Cymarcbikeparts
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had a customer visit work today, sadly I’m in Norway, but the bike he’s on was, to me, absolutely stunning. It had lots of internal engine mods too. I just thought such a beautiful restoration deserved sharing!
e18fb0e4f6a0bc27ce88d3018e1534de.jpg
719ae79369df10f88b9f662cf8c50bb4.jpg
555ab67b9791012dc32ecd09b8656136.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A beautifully done bike..... as usual for Mikeyboy.

The more I keep seeing his work, the more I want to take my ST up to him for a refurb/refresh/improvement.
Shame I really cant afford it at present, but its money well spent i think.

Bubb

Love the colour scheme.
Is that a PFM caliper? And, if I may be so bold as to ask, why do you mount it on top, rather than behind - there has to be a good reason, I simply don't know it. In the 70s we used to swap fork legs round so the brake caliper moved, but I thought it was from on top to behind...time dims the memory.

The lugs for the caliper are on the front of the slider, and the sliders are handed, so no simple way of getting the caliper to the back.

With modern pad materials which need to heat up to work there little advantage in six piston calipers with large pads which were beneficial in the days when you wanted the pads to stay cool.
Some six pots now actually have three small pads with less pad area than some twin pots.
Which is why they have almost vanished from new bikes.

Mechanical advantage comes in to it too, but six 30mm pots have minimal advantage over two 50mm ones.
FWIW I have fitted a six potter on my GS to no great benefit, which I will probably remove one day, and have improved the breaking on my G/S by removing a PO fitted four pot and reverted to a OE twin pot for a noticeable improvement, so this is not just second hand theory.
As I recollect that bike was made to the owners spec, so no reflection on the fabricator intended-------.

The lugs for the caliper are on the front of the slider, and the sliders are handed, so no simple way of getting the caliper to the back.

With modern pad materials which need to heat up to work there little advantage in six piston calipers with large pads which were beneficial in the days when you wanted the pads to stay cool.
Some six pots now actually have three small pads with less pad area than some twin pots.
Which is why they have almost vanished from new bikes.

Mechanical advantage comes in to it too, but six 30mm pots have minimal advantage over two 50mm ones.
FWIW I have fitted a six potter on my GS to no great benefit, which I will probably remove one day, and have improved the breaking on my G/S by removing a PO fitted four pot and reverted to a OE twin pot for a noticeable improvement, so this is not just second hand theory.
As I recollect that bike was made to the owners spec, so no reflection on the fabricator intended-------.

Thanks for the explanation. Maybe I am confusing with the R100RS I had, which I thought the calipers were behind, it was a 1980 but had the Brembo brakes on it rather than those rounded lumpy ones.

Interesting about the 6 pot thing. I shall be needing pads for the 1150 soon, so will need to find out about these differences before buying them. The Xco brakes have gone weird, they were fine before, but very thin and the disc was scored very badly - fitted a new disc, brand new disc, and new pads and now it feels like it is only working on half the rotation. It grabs then lets go and grabs - braking is like riding a kangeroo! I can't see any runout on the disc or wheel, so maybe the EBC pads are not suited, but were specified for the bike.
Brakes though, who needs them? They only slow you down! :D

Had a customer visit work today, sadly I’m in Norway, but the bike he’s on was, to me, absolutely stunning. It had lots of internal engine mods too. I just thought such a beautiful restoration deserved sharing!
e18fb0e4f6a0bc27ce88d3018e1534de.jpg
719ae79369df10f88b9f662cf8c50bb4.jpg
555ab67b9791012dc32ecd09b8656136.jpg

The leather box on the rear should be further back so the angled corner sits against the flicked up rack. :D

He’s asked us to make him a rack, possibly just for that purpose!

Back
Top Bottom