X-Head EBay copies

vRSG60

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone tried the EBay MachineArtMoto X-Head copies?
If so any good or a waste of money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just looking at the composition, real X-heads, Nylon with rubber for the heat, Chinese copies Silicone and plastic, I know what I would trust my bike with, and it aint the Chinese ones.........

I dropped my last LC on its side at standstill with genuine MAM head guards fitted (no engine bars). It landed with such a bang, I was sure damage to the rocker cover would have been caused. When I checked, the MAM cover was barely marked, and there was absolutely no evidence of any stressing what so ever to the rocker cover.

Well worth the money imho.

Mark

I have just got a GSA with factory bars but with my past record on a GS, even the low chassis one, I’m looking for the belt & braces approach.
I find these bikes weight a handful at times.

True and the extra long bolts that come with them, are 18 quid alone, Chinese do not have them.

The T50 bolts don't (or didn't) come with the NN supplied Machine Art X-Heads either. You just reuse the existing one and torque it correctly.

Chances are that the cheap Chinese ones are identical and just come out of the back door of the factory (nylon is polyamide plastic). We see this a lot in my business with unscrupulous suppliers.

I've just bought the cheap version of the mudguard extender for my 1250 and it's excellent quality.

The T50 bolts don't (or didn't) come with the NN supplied Machine Art X-Heads either. You just reuse the existing one and torque it correctly.

Chances are that the cheap Chinese ones are identical and just come out of the back door of the factory (nylon is polyamide plastic). We see this a lot in my business with unscrupulous suppliers.

I've just bought the cheap version of the mudguard extender for my 1250 and it's excellent quality.

Copy of email from Machine art hope this helps

Shaun:

The reason we provide 3.5mm longer bolts is to compensate for the addition thickness of the X-Head. We can send you the latest 12.9 grade steel bolts in about 10 days since we're waiting to receive them from our manufacturer. We have 8.8 grade steel bolts we can send now, but you must be careful to limit tightening torque to 9 Nm. You can use your OEM bolts for the time being, but because they are shorter you must be particularly careful not to over tighten them. Let me know what you prefer us to do.

Regards,

Andrew Serbinski

MachineartMoto
908 652 6779 x2

This makes sense if ham fisted folk have been shearing bolts, but is a change from when I bought mine.

The instructions from 2014 just asked you to reuse the existing bolts. I haven’t had any issues in five years and 26k miles using the original bolts.

f64438e605fb45d1d5d45a4cf71b52ed.jpg

Well, I bought a pair of original X-Heads from this very parish. They came with all the extra fixings. It took me an hour or so to fit them.
I needed to trim the rubber blocks on the BMW bars to compensate for the extra thickness of the X-Heads.

So, as the OP asked.....Has anyone actually tried the eBay X-Head copies for £50 and compared them to the £169 MachineArt ones, rather than making assumptions?

Back
Top Bottom