How could I fit a cheap LCD digital speedo?

My thoughts also, where does he live Ill look for the rider carrying a white stick.

Fact is, nearly everyone over 50 needs glasses for close up - such as reading an analogue speedo - whilst having perfect sight for distance & driving/ riding......

rubbish... I'm the same... need a second to focus on the very small speedo now.. but can see 100% to the horizon 6" beyond the clock.
The problem is that second, especialy in traffic... and I don't want to wear glasses just so I can be 100% sure I'm doing 40...
There are a lot of GPS speedos on e-bay, some at £15 but they won't be waterproof... think you can get a waterprofe one for about £100 but for £20 you can get a self dimming one... maybe you could tuck it away where it won't get wet :) ... this one look ok https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Car-M...694937?hash=item3b31dde059:g:45AAAOSwgkVc5Rlh

Try this one below, they are great also and waterproof.

https://www.amazon.de/Sigma-Sport-G...1RFYP3ZWJYQKTZZ5Y&refRID=TE31RFYP3ZWJYQKTZZ5Y

Just be careful with the HUD type devices because they show an inverted mirror image so that when reflected off a windscreen they read correctly. Some can be set to read correctly when viewed directly, but not all, so you need the check this.

My thoughts also, where does he live Ill look for the rider carrying a white stick.

I'm just glad he isn't anywhere near me! Scary stuff!

Might be a good reason to get off a speeding ticket though:

Officer: "Did know how fast you were going?"
Him: "No, I can't see the speedo"

I'm just glad he isn't anywhere near me! Scary stuff!

Might be a good reason to get off a speeding ticket though:

Officer: "Did know how fast you were going?"
Him: "No, I can't see the speedo"

Don’t be a twit...

Going through life ignorant to basic things, like knowing the difference between needing reading glasses and having good distance vision, is far more dangerous

Another vote for Sat Nav speedo. I use it every time I ride my GS LC, as in my view the speedo is poor to read easily as a glance.

My R1150RS has a much better speedo & I only use the Sat Nav when I want to navigate

Considering the extra effort required in passing a driving test these days compared to when I passed, I’ve witnessed quite a few scary moments with youngsters at the wheel who think they own both sides of the road
Meh...old people with poor eyesight are scary on the road.

Considering the extra effort required in passing a driving test these days compared to when I passed, I’ve witnessed quite a few scary moments with youngsters at the wheel who think they own both sides of the road

Lots of shitty drivers/riders on the road for various different reasons. Vision issues would only compound it, especially when you need to focus quickly on something.

My point was in defence of older drivers being the sole issue of poor driving seen on the roads. Optical corrective devices can be required at any age but these do not make up for poor driving techniques, road rage or increased driving experience.
Reading the road ahead is the foundation of good driving so whilst good vision is a must “ quick” sight suggests poor recognition of visual cues.

My point was in defence of older drivers being the sole issue of poor driving seen on the roads. Optical corrective devices can be required at any age but these do not make up for poor driving techniques, road rage or increased driving experience.

I never suggested they were the sole issue for anything, I simply said older riders with poor eyesight are scary.

it depends what you class as poor... My Dad who's 92 still has a licence and in theory could drive.... I always wondered who put all the dings in their car until he called it a day... not even a scrape now my Mum does it alll and she's had this car for 4 years now :) but shes only 89 :yelrotflm but got to say, she drives a lot better than some out there.

I've bought this... see how it goes when it arrives :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Car-M...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I never suggested they were the sole issue for anything, I simply said older riders with poor eyesight are scary.

Trouble is you are conflating normal aging of the lenses in the eyes, which results in slower and sometimes incomplete focus on very near objects, with poor distance vision.

This is complete nonsense, most people with this perfectly normal aging retain normal distance vision, in my case better than 20/20 according to my optician.

Good distance vision is the crucial issue for safe riding/driving, hence the police roadside test of reading a number plate at 20 metres to check that you have a minimal ability in distance vision. It is the Mr Magoos out there driving around with impaired distance vision who are the real danger.

Slight difficulty in focusing on badly designed analogue dials does not imply any inability to ride safely, or to ride at a safe speed. It just means it is difficult to tell at a quick glance if you are exactly at or below the limit rather than a few mph over, which can make all the difference in avoiding speeding fines.

Trouble is you are conflating normal aging of the lenses in the eyes, which results in slower and sometimes incomplete focus on very near objects, with poor distance vision.

This is complete nonsense, most people with this perfectly normal aging retain normal distance vision, in my case better than 20/20 according to my optician.

Good distance vision is the crucial issue for safe riding/driving, hence the police roadside test of reading a number plate at 20 metres to check that you have a minimal ability in distance vision. It is the Mr Magoos out there driving around with impaired distance vision who are the real danger.

Slight difficulty in focusing on badly designed analogue dials does not imply any inability to ride safely, or to ride at a safe speed. It just means it is difficult to tell at a quick glance if you are exactly at or below the limit rather than a few mph over, which can make all the difference in avoiding speeding fines.

Ahh ok, older riders with poor eyesight is a good thing. I get it now...

Hence why the replacement to my write-off will have a TFT screen - distance is fine.

Probably get new lenses next year as fed up with reading glasses...

Ahh ok, older riders with poor eyesight is a good thing. I get it now...

No, you don't get it, but obviously a waste of time continuing this discussion further, so let's get back to the question of what would be a suitable digital speed display for a non-tft bike as the OP requested, rather than questioning the desirability of adding one.

No, you don't get it, but obviously a waste of time continuing this discussion further, so let's get back to the question of what would be a suitable digital speed display for a non-tft bike as the OP requested, rather than questioning the desirability of adding one.

I get it just fine, I just don't agree with you.

Back
Top Bottom