How could I fit a cheap LCD digital speedo?

Sure you were....nice attempt at trolling but you will have to try harder next time

This is day two [this morning] start line and overnight camp site ,so yea my truth is more factual than yours :D

5313d9470fc352097068743318b86c7a.jpg

I'd not come across Fredaroony before this thread and hopefully won't again. What a nasty, petty, I'll informed man, I genuinely feel sorry for him ☹️

Thank you to all that made positive suggestions (I've ordered one of the suggested units) and those who tried to educate our antipodean friend but unfortunately, and particularly appropriate in this case "there are none so blind as those who will not see" 🙄

I'd not come across Fredaroony before this thread and hopefully won't again. What a nasty, petty, I'll informed man, I genuinely feel sorry for him ☹️

Thank you to all that made positive suggestions (I've ordered one of the suggested units) and those who tried to educate our antipodean friend but unfortunately, and particularly appropriate in this case "there are none so blind as those who will not see" ��

Hopefully you won't kill anyone on the road while trying to focus your eyes.... don't feel sorry for me, feel sorry for the people around you.

Good man well done, too far for me in one go I did the overnight stop :D

I did pass a few who were going the whole way on the lead in to the overnight stop at the half way mark and they were struggling immensely.

I did pass a few who were going the whole way on the lead in to the overnight stop at the half way mark and they were struggling immensely.

Did you use a digital speedo......................:augie:augie:augie

Yep - my walking partner struggled as she buggered her knees on some of the descents on the first half. We were looking like finishing in about 17 hours up to that point. Never mind. Next one in July.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Did you use a digital speedo......................:augie:augie:augie
Technically yes too. My Garmin watch does all of that for me. It tells me loads of useless information such as the fact I did 81,280 steps on top of my speed.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I intend to try an adhesive-backed rectangular magnifier over the microscopic speedo,

Phil

Attach it to the moving speedo needle... that'll be hilarious :D

Vision - and speed control

Hopefully you won't kill anyone on the road while trying to focus your eyes.... don't feel sorry for me, feel sorry for the people around you.

Are you genuinely unaware of age-related presbyopia? You'll find, fredaroony, that come 50 years old, your arms will become too short to read the small print. I'm 60 and for the past ten years have needed reading glasses to see my instruments clearly - my solution is a pair of Designoptics sunglasses with a reading insert so I can glance down at in-focus maps / dials, or up through clear glass for distance vision. At night I just perch my clear reading glasses on the end of my nose. This works equally well in my airliner as it does on my bike.

Anyway, back on topic. My GSA's Nav V has a digital speed readout below the map which turns red if you exceed the speed limit (and is generally more accurate than the bike's analogue speedo, albeit with some lag in updating).

Also, in all the chat about trying to avoid falling foul of speed cameras, I'm surprised no-one mentioned setting cruise control, which is great for ensuring you don't inadvertently creep above 30 or 40.

Are you genuinely unaware of age-related presbyopia? You'll find, fredaroony, that come 50 years old, your arms will become too short to read the small print. I'm 60 and for the past ten years have needed reading glasses to see my instruments clearly - my solution is a pair of Designoptics sunglasses with a reading insert so I can glance down at in-focus maps / dials, or up through clear glass for distance vision. At night I just perch my clear reading glasses on the end of my nose. This works equally well in my airliner as it does on my bike.

Anyway, back on topic. My GSA's Nav V has a digital speed readout below the map which turns red if you exceed the speed limit (and is generally more accurate than the bike's analogue speedo, albeit with some lag in updating).

Also, in all the chat about trying to avoid falling foul of speed cameras, I'm surprised no-one mentioned setting cruise control, which is great for ensuring you don't inadvertently creep above 30 or 40.

Thanks for the tip on the glasses. I thought these were going to be incredibly expensive designer jobbies as you are apparently a pilot, but no, it turns out they are quite cheap, though possibly to the point that I would worry about whether they have proper UV protection!

Regarding cruise control, the only place I ever use it is on relatively deserted foreign motorways because these are the only situations where there is no need to modulate your speed up and down to fit in with traffic ahead and any traffic approaching from behind, as you have to do virtually everywhere in the UK if you want to maintain a bubble of safe space and time your lanes changes for smooth progress. Adaptive cruise is a different matter, but not available on bikes yet.

As for using it in the sort of urban areas where you have 30 and 40 limits, I can't imagine doing that. I like to have full control over my speed at all times, easing off to below the speed limit in some cases such as approaching junctions and areas with parked cars and pedestrians about, and speeding up in safer environments. You may have right of way, and the right to keep up a steady 30 in a 30 limit and 40 in a 40 limit, but as a biker it doesn't mean it is necessarily safe to do so.

By the age of 50, my wife suggested I either get surgery to lengthen by arms by 5-10” or I go get glasses.
I now wear varifocals to drive - and I drive Emergency Response - and, though they are expensive, I get at least “Nikon” lenses as these have less distortion at the periphery of vision.

You can also set the multi screen display on the Nav V and VI to display the speed in a nice bold font when you get old Fredarooney

hqdefault.jpg

I expect fredaroony is now going to want to know who you pilot for and where you fly to/from so that he can avoid being a passenger in an aircraft where the pilot has "defective" vision!

Back
Top Bottom