New to 1100 gs. Couple of questions

Ccmp

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi there , first BMW for me 1995 r1100gs. Is the seat pan the same for the 1100 and the 1150? Anyone got a working rear shock for sale. My rear shock is bottoming out. Haven't delved into it yet. Are they worth servicing. Not sure yet whether I have an original or aftermarket. Usual problem with ABS light flashing. I'll work through that later. Suspect it's voltage related.

Afternoon and welcome to the mad house.

Yes they can be rebuilt, and if you replace the spring with something appropriate to your weight, makes handling far better.

Check the wiring and sensors for the abs too.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Welcome bud. Yes the seat is the same as the 1150 (non adventure)

I have a working standard rear shock, its in need of a clean up but it doesnt bottom out. I replced it with a YSS one because it came up cheap, even new though they are an affordable option and decent quality. Ohlins if you have the £££.

If the ABS issue isnt a simple low voltage or sensor fix, recommend removing the system, not a difficult or expensive job.

Thanks for all replies. I only picked bike up last night. Abs was working when I test drove it, and on way home (100 miles) but lights flashed this morning on way to work from start up..
I'll look at shock later. Not keen to remove and be without bike while investigating or refurbishing. Just want a temp shock to keep me going.
Mr gog how much do you want for that shock?

£40. let me dig it out tomorrow and i’ll send you a couple pics. it’s cheap because it’s tatty, but it works.

Make sure the front brake lever (if you have handguards) goes back to neutral position. It's worth pushing the lever back and then trying the bike again to see if ABS resets.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Despite what it looks like the ABS lights flash in a sequence to tell you what the problem is; however, I can't for the life of me remember what the sequences are :blast

The most common issues are, lever not returning fully (as above), rear twin filament bulb is only working on one filament, or the battery is failing to provide sufficient umph. Unlike the servo ABS on the > 2003 bikes the 1100 ABS is pretty robust so I'd suspect one of the above.

A quick check for battery is to set off with lights flashing, after about 30 mins when the battery is recharged, stop, turn it off and try again, if the lights don't come back on then your battery is on its way out.

Great bikes :thumb

Do an ABS reset..something about grounding a pin while holding something else ? I'll have a look through and see if I can find it unless someone beats me to it...also flush the system while you're at it if that hasn't already been done in the last year ?
Battery could also cause the ABS issue if it's starting to fail, start the bike and idle for a couple of minutes then kill / switch off / restart and see if the lights flash as a dual act...Don't let these bikes idle for more than a couple of minutes though :D

Thanks, pretty sure its voltage related. I've already done a search and printed out the checks. Bike ran fine on way home with no abs flashing lights.

ABS - when you turn the ignition on make sure everything else is turned off i.e. lights, heated grips or any other current drain. Turn ignition on then wait, don't press the starter straight away. The abs system is running though it’s checks. One of the checks is the battery voltage, it must read 12volts, if it’s checking as you press the starter it’ll read 8-9volts due to the draw from the starter motor and the abs disarms itself. Give it a few seconds before pressing the starter ... to satisfy yourself that there are no actual ABS faults, turn on the ignition (don’t press the starter) and with both ABS lights flashing together push the bike a few yards at a fast pace, if no faults the lights should extinguish and you’ll hear a “clunk” from the abs as it activates it’s system. ... be aware that some of the advice in previous posts isn’t relevant to your ABS system, they’re for the servo/abs system, a completely different kettle of fish with its own brand of unique fishy problems and cures.

ABS - when you turn the ignition on make sure everything else is turned off i.e. lights, heated grips or any other current drain. Turn ignition on then wait, don't press the starter straight away. The abs system is running though it’s checks. One of the checks is the battery voltage, it must read 12volts, if it’s checking as you press the starter it’ll read 8-9volts due to the draw from the starter motor and the abs disarms itself. Give it a few seconds before pressing the starter ... to satisfy yourself that there are no actual ABS faults, turn on the ignition (don’t press the starter) and with both ABS lights flashing together push the bike a few yards at a fast pace, if no faults the lights should extinguish and you’ll hear a “clunk” from the abs as it activates it’s system. ... be aware that some of the advice in previous posts isn’t relevant to your ABS system, they’re for the servo/abs system, a completely different kettle of fish with its own brand of unique fishy problems and cures.

thanks , that my suspision. I started the bike while abs was self checking .

Thanks for the reminder.

Interesting note this GS I bought the "clunk" from the abs is no where near as loud or abrupt as the previous 1100GS I had.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Love this thread, tossers offering real world knowledge and wisdom to help someone resolve an issue.

It reminds me of UKGSer of a few years ago when oil heads were newfangled over-complicated things and airheads were the reliable choice. All the posts were constructive, with a bit of well meant banter thrown in.

Renews my faith, good work!

£40. let me dig it out tomorrow and i’ll send you a couple pics. it’s cheap because it’s tatty, but it works.

Hi there, item received. All good. Thanks for swift dispatch and taking care with packaging.

Back
Top Bottom