Sportster help.

Oldie

Reaction score
Had my first test ride on a Harley today (Iron 883). Instantly felt like a great motorcycle but after an hour I was fed up with my right heel touching the pipes (I didn't know that (a) they were after market pipes and (b) they had a heat shield). Otherwise, spot on.

So, to circumvent the "heel" problem I was offered a 48 to see if the forward pegs would be better. They were ok (I preferred the mids) but really liked the 1200 engine.

So, I asked if I could have a 1200 Sportster with mid pegs and everything else the same as the 883 but it appears not. The 1200's either have forward pegs or Ape bars. Maybe I didn't explain it well enough (maybe I'm still not!) and the sales guy was trying his best to talk through the differences but I guess my head was filled with options and I came away befuzzled :confused:

Is there something approaching my ideal of a Sportster, 1200cc, mid pegs, standard(ish) bars? If not, I'll probably be happy enough with an 883.

Yes, buy the sportster you like and then buy mid mount pegs; eBay is full of them. I think the sales person is trying to sell you what's in stock. Try a search for Roadster on the HD site.

ps - Just to make things even more confusing, HD do another option which is 'Further Forward' this is about 2" further than a mid mount peg, but way short of a foot-forward set up.

ps - Just to make things even more confusing, HD do another option which is 'Further Forward' this is about 2" further than a mid mount peg, but way short of a foot-forward set up.

Yeah, that might be just about perfect. I'll look into that. Cheers

If you like the Iron 883 the bike below should be a match in heaven for you, it certainly ticks my boxes.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/eu/en/motorcycles/2019/sportster/roadster.html

I discovered that upon returning from the dealers and googling a bit. Yes, it does look like what I'm after. Strangely enough, they had just sold one and so we didn't even have a look at it. The question mark would be the higher seat and lower bars - not in itself a problem, but I quite liked that low slung position on the 883. I should really try and get a ride on the Roadster (might even prefer it). Good spot.

I discovered that upon returning from the dealers and googling a bit. Yes, it does look like what I'm after. Strangely enough, they had just sold one and so we didn't even have a look at it. The question mark would be the higher seat and lower bars - not in itself a problem, but I quite liked that low slung position on the 883. I should really try and get a ride on the Roadster (might even prefer it). Good spot.

Tis a thing of beauty and them brakes I love, and the wheels, lord protect me from this bike.................

Don't buy an 883.

That's the one that I liked the most (although they all look pretty good), so bought a second hand one this morning. Just a stock 883 (2017) which I collect on Wednesday. I've bought 6 bikes from this guy before and he never disappoints. Appreciate all the responses.

Got it home today. 2 hour ride in fairly fierce weather which told me nothing about the bike (mainly motorway miles) but I managed a bit of fun at the end. I couldn't honestly tell you if it's a good bike or not but I'm smitten, that's for sure.

Sportster-collection-IMG-20190612-170930719.jpg

Got it home today. 2 hour ride in fairly fierce weather which told me nothing about the bike (mainly motorway miles) but I managed a bit of fun at the end. I couldn't honestly tell you if it's a good bike or not but I'm smitten, that's for sure.

Sportster-collection-IMG-20190612-170930719.jpg

Very nice indeed lots of fun can be had with that, next 1200 upgrade, and bigger tank...............;)

I love the peanut tank..... ( 1200 upgrade a given if it gets under his skin..)

Sold in 12 months if it doesn’t..:D

Looks great to me, except it needs the 1200 motor/conversion.

Come on, think of the Heritage too - the T-Bobber is a pastiche.

I had an hour and a half on some back roads today and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm aware of the bikes limitations but I do like it for what it is. Great for my 5'8 ageing frame.

Mind you, I also went for a sit on a new red Softail Slim and that could be another bike that I'd be comfortable with. Anything larger doesn't really do it for me. If the 883 loses it's appeal then I'll look at the other Harley options.

I had an hour and a half on some back roads today and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm aware of the bikes limitations but I do like it for what it is. Great for my 5'8 ageing frame.

Mind you, I also went for a sit on a new red Softail Slim and that could be another bike that I'd be comfortable with. Anything larger doesn't really do it for me. If the 883 loses it's appeal then I'll look at the other Harley options.

Congratulations on your new bike, enjoy it for what it is and you won't go far wrong.
My personal advice would be as follows .

Avoid the upgrade route.
That is a pit of despair and financial ruin with very steep slippery sides, avoid it at all costs .

I you fancy slightly better handling , don't !
Just buy a different bike.

If you think a little bit more power would make all the difference , don't !

There you go, nice and simple, ride it, love it and when you're getting bored, sell it !

Congratulations on your new bike, enjoy it for what it is and you won't go far wrong.
My personal advice would be as follows .

Avoid the upgrade route.
That is a pit of despair and financial ruin with very steep slippery sides, avoid it at all costs .

I you fancy slightly better handling , don't !

If you think a little bit more power would make all the difference , don't !

There you go, nice and simple, ride it, love it and when you're getting bored, sell it !

Wise words.

Back
Top Bottom