Pannier protection

Malcvtr

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have the Wunderlich engine bars for my bike, but don’t fancy the rear ones especially as some people say they interfere with the pillion’s legs. I’ve seen some cheap ones by Heed, but they look pretty bulky too. Anyone got these?

Ilium make some good ones, but they’re over £400!

So, as an ultra cheap option for a car park drop, I’m considering these...

c57f07cba79b3ad0747979a591976820.jpg

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought the protectors and fitted them today. I cleaned the surface of the panniers with meths and adhesion seems fine. See pics. I like them, certainly at almost a tenth of the price of the BMW ones (which I know also consists of a second, higher level strip - but you could buy another pair of these for £15, if you needed that).

d8494a7e55e030258df14a959f96f41b.jpg
5c7280aedc04023be02a3c1f3e93d177.jpg
07a4fe1a7ac9587d06db351e12c6d0af.jpg

If you're particularly fastidious, you might not like the very small gap between the protectors and the pannier surface:

636636e689efd43a539055d61659eb07.jpg

Yes, and at £15 for two they’re decent value.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Er... Don't fit these protectors. In the hot weather, the front part which has to bend quite sharply round the pannier has become unstuck!

I have now removed them, without any marking to the underlying surface. I could have cut off one end of the strip to avoid the bend, but, unfortunately, they have a hollow core which would not be aesthetically pleasing. Alternatively, I could have used some much stronger, double-sided 3M tape, but removal (if I needed to) would be potentially difficult/damaging.

I can't bring myself to buy the BMW ones at £140, so the hunt for a solution resumes, albeit at a very relaxed pace :D

I can't bring myself to buy the BMW ones at £140, so the hunt for a solution resumes, albeit at a very relaxed pace :D

Perhaps you could give them due consideration to the BMW

I have them on system panniers and the glue they use is super sticky and has stood up to 15 years use in all weather from spring to autumn

Yeah, you're right, but I just can't quite yet bring myself to pay £140 (plus p&p) for four bits of plastic and sticky tape.

I know that the 3M double-sided tape would almost certainly do the job on the pads, but I think they would then be almost impossible to remove cleanly if I ever wanted or needed to.

Back
Top Bottom