wiring - auxiliary socket for instruments R80gs

Poon

Reaction score
My wiring diagram shows a spare socket for 'instruments' on the loom but I can't locate it on the bike. Can anyone tell me where it is? Cheers, thanks, Poon.

Think if you look on the throttle side under the faring you should find an unused plug

I should have said, it's a 1989 gs, so no fairing. Maybe under the tank/around the steering head?

Might just be a spare spade terminal on the main switch.
Sometimes there is a spare terminal which is activated separately at first click of the key, and if the ignition is connected to it will provide fresh new contacts, effectively load shedding, and a functionality some may prefer.
The old ignition terminal can be used for your accessories.
Discovered this when my ignition started acting up, caused by poor contacts in the switch, cured by the simple relocation.
But not all switches are the same, only one out of three I tried are this way.

On my 88 R100GS, the tachometer is plugged into a multi pin, round white connector within the headlamp enclosure.

On my 88 R100GS, the tachometer is plugged into a multi pin, round white connector within the headlamp enclosure.

Yep, and there's another connector for the clock.
And the bmw pods mount on the lug with a hole in it on top of the fork legs :D

Thanks folks, went right through the loom eventually, couldn't find one so I guess it's a figment of Haynes imagination on my year model at least. I'll have a look at the ignition switch wires next time I'm in there. Worth having a look though, found a few very dodgy bits of wiring including the typical twisted together connection but actually with no insulating tape at all, which is a first in my experience. Cheers, Poon

Back
Top Bottom