Test rode the GS 1250 Rallye TE - awesome

Jeremy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thanks to Matt at Bahnstormer for the loan of a GS1250 GS. At 5'9 the GS felt so much better suited to me than the new GSA.
POSTIVES:
1. smooth - whether it was dawdling in 6th gear in the 30 zones around Alton or Petersfield, the GS was perfectly fuelled with no snatching. Really impressive.
2. power - epic; roll on from 6th or in dynamic mode, the bike takes off instantaneously; my last GSA was a 2017 and the new bike felt considerably more powerful; the clutch-less changes have improved from my old GSA
3. comfort - all day comfort; my bike had the standard seat on the low setting so I had both feet on the ground at a stop; the bench-seat is narrower and harder (and slightly higher)
4. looks - the Rallye HP colour screen looks great in the sunshine. Bahnstormer put it side by side with a black/gold Exclusive which also looks great but the Rallye edges it
5. handling - following a monsoon the roads were sodden and despite the thought of a £1k excess if it all went wrong, the bike felt utterly planted and secure
NEGATIVES:
1. screen - I would change the standard screen to the larger GSA; it's fine having the screen at it's lowest setting on the twisty A272 but it wasn't great at 80mph on the A3
2. buzz - on the A3 at 80mph there was a distinct buzz through the bars and footpegs; rubber inserts in the pegs might help
3. cost - £18,730 for a RallyeTE with crash bars, front/rear mudslings, LED spots - I haven't spent this much on a bike. Bahnstormer have a promotion in June with a free SatNav; no doubt a few beers and some serious man maths will make this look sensible. BMW's 9.9% APR for the PCP is just not competitive with Honda offering Africa Twin Sports at 0% and HSBC lending cash at 3.3%

In summary, if you need one bike, this is it.

Jeremy

Thanks to Matt at Bahnstormer for the loan of a GS1250 GS. At 5'9 the GS felt so much better suited to me than the new GSA.
POSTIVES:
1. smooth - whether it was dawdling in 6th gear in the 30 zones around Alton or Petersfield, the GS was perfectly fuelled with no snatching. Really impressive.
2. power - epic; roll on from 6th or in dynamic mode, the bike takes off instantaneously; my last GSA was a 2017 and the new bike felt considerably more powerful; the clutch-less changes have improved from my old GSA
3. comfort - all day comfort; my bike had the standard seat on the low setting so I had both feet on the ground at a stop; the bench-seat is narrower and harder (and slightly higher)
4. looks - the Rallye HP colour screen looks great in the sunshine. Bahnstormer put it side by side with a black/gold Exclusive which also looks great but the Rallye edges it
5. handling - following a monsoon the roads were sodden and despite the thought of a £1k excess if it all went wrong, the bike felt utterly planted and secure
NEGATIVES:
1. screen - I would change the standard screen to the larger GSA; it's fine having the screen at it's lowest setting on the twisty A272 but it wasn't great at 80mph on the A3
2. buzz - on the A3 at 80mph there was a distinct buzz through the bars and footpegs; rubber inserts in the pegs might help
3. cost - £18,730 for a RallyeTE with crash bars, front/rear mudslings, LED spots - I haven't spent this much on a bike. Bahnstormer have a promotion in June with a free SatNav; no doubt a few beers and some serious man maths will make this look sensible. BMW's 9.9% APR for the PCP is just not competitive with Honda offering Africa Twin Sports at 0% and HSBC lending cash at 3.3%

Jeremy
Thats a high APR you need to negotiate that down

Isn’t the AT getting a facelift for next year?

Plus don’t think they are a fair comparison IMO

Plus all premium bikes are getting ridiculously expensive

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I got mine down to 5.9%, I would have walked away if any higher.

when i enquired about a 1250 the APR was 6.9 they wouldn't budge on that ,,so i didn't either 9.9 % is a piss take

I was offered 6.9% from dealer instead of 9.9% from BMW. Still 2.5 k in interest so im paying mine outright, best money i can borrow just now. Bloody bank paying 0.65% better saving the 2.5k in interest. If i took it on low deposit, £269 down and £269 per month total interest is £4800 odd jesus H

Jeremy

£19k and you don’t even get any luggage !!! :eek: :blast

I get the impression BMW think they're on a roll. Not at 9.9% with me they ain't.

4.9% when I bought my first GS in April 2015.

Wait until September and the 125O demand will slow slightly and with winter round the corner, deals will be available.

Not that I am buying one but I have a 0% credit card for 18 months with 12k limit on. If I was buying a new bike on finance, I would be tempted to use it.

Wait until September and the 125O demand will slow slightly and with winter round the corner, deals will be available.

Not that I am buying one but I have a 0% credit card for 18 months with 12k limit on. If I was buying a new bike on finance, I would be tempted to use it.

Would you have to factor in a balance transfer fee to that or is that 0% even on a straight purchase ? The dealer may whack on a card fee if you try to pay 12k on a CC. Most cards seem to be about 2.5% transfer fee so that would be way cheaper than the BMW finance deal either way.

The only other issue would be making payments if you start using the card later on for other purchases as it gets very complicated as to which debt gets paid off first and all of a sudden you end up with unexpected costs / charges . Best to use a separate card for everything else .

They’re not a fair comparison as the ATAS is a much better bike at £6k less !!

The dealer may whack on a card fee if you try to pay 12k on a CC.

Whilst I can definitely agree that they may refuse the payment, it is illegal to add any kind of fee for paying by CC, even by stealth. What is likely to happen if they do reluctantly agree is that they’ll offer less of a discount to cover themselves. Merchant fees are around 1.5% but depends on the size of the retailer and how much they take in CC sales, but you get the idea.

I don’t understand the constant comparisons with an Africa Twin. The F850GS is the direct competition.

Back
Top Bottom