Test rode the GS 1250 Rallye TE - awesome

No the Crosstourer is a V4 not a poxy twin and is a much better bike than the GS ... :D Arsey is right , the ATAS is a more direct competitor ;)

Arsey is never right.:D

The ATAS is chain driven, and about 40bhp down on the GS.

Agree! isn't the cross tourer the 1200GS equivalent?

No - nice V4 engine, but shame about the rest of the bike which is several generations behind the GS in terms of technology, apart from the DCT option. Nasty shunty shaft drive and transmission on the one I tried too.

Taking an Africa Twin Adv Sport DCT for a test ride on Saturday from Farnham Honda. Has anyone switched from the GS/GSA?

Thanks to Matt at Bahnstormer for the loan of a GS1250 GS. At 5'9 the GS felt so much better suited to me than the new GSA.
POSTIVES:
1. smooth - whether it was dawdling in 6th gear in the 30 zones around Alton or Petersfield, the GS was perfectly fuelled with no snatching. Really impressive.
2. power - epic; roll on from 6th or in dynamic mode, the bike takes off instantaneously; my last GSA was a 2017 and the new bike felt considerably more powerful; the clutch-less changes have improved from my old GSA
3. comfort - all day comfort; my bike had the standard seat on the low setting so I had both feet on the ground at a stop; the bench-seat is narrower and harder (and slightly higher)
4. looks - the Rallye HP colour screen looks great in the sunshine. Bahnstormer put it side by side with a black/gold Exclusive which also looks great but the Rallye edges it
5. handling - following a monsoon the roads were sodden and despite the thought of a £1k excess if it all went wrong, the bike felt utterly planted and secure
NEGATIVES:
1. screen - I would change the standard screen to the larger GSA; it's fine having the screen at it's lowest setting on the twisty A272 but it wasn't great at 80mph on the A3
2. buzz - on the A3 at 80mph there was a distinct buzz through the bars and footpegs; rubber inserts in the pegs might help
3. cost - £18,730 for a RallyeTE with crash bars, front/rear mudslings, LED spots - I haven't spent this much on a bike. Bahnstormer have a promotion in June with a free SatNav; no doubt a few beers and some serious man maths will make this look sensible. BMW's 9.9% APR for the PCP is just not competitive with Honda offering Africa Twin Sports at 0% and HSBC lending cash at 3.3%

In summary, if you need one bike, this is it.

Jeremy

I would read this
https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/505072-Got-Shaft-Rot-again-WTF/page12

No - nice V4 engine,
Agreed ;)

shame about the rest of the bike which is several generations behind the GS in terms of technology

I agree that the Honda has been “left behind” in those stakes but I actually see that as positive, apart from the lack of cruise :(

Nasty shunty shaft drive and transmission on the one I tried too.

very occasionally 1st to 2nd and back again can be in traffic can sometimes be a bit shunty but otherwise its fine as the DCT helps to eliminate any possible shunt .

:thumb

most places will negotiate on the APR just ring round some bmw dealers near you and play them off

AT or GS

The major drawback to the AT is the use of Tubed Tyres precluding the use of quick puncture repair..........in the rain at midnight. ;)

The major drawback to the AT is the use of Tubed Tyres precluding the use of quick puncture repair..........in the rain at midnight. ;)

There is Kevlar Fibre puncture repair stuff that works on tubed tyres, stuff it through the valve, rotate tyre, job done. Fill up to 1.5 cm holes to get you home. Won't repair a rip though.

I was underwhelmed by the Africa Twin Adv Sport. If I was commuting into London each day it would be a good choice with the DCT gearbox. But for distance touring I'll stick with a GS.

I was underwhelmed by the Africa Twin Adv Sport. If I was commuting into London each day it would be a good choice with the DCT gearbox. But for distance touring I'll stick with a GS.

+1 Agreed.

Africa Twin is a lovely bike, but for road touring it needs.....

- Tubeless Tyres for speed and puncture repairs
- Cruise Control
- Better wind protection
- Bigger fuel tank
- Better suspension capable of luggage and pillion loads
- Better seat for comfort
- More power and torque for overtakes

But as a second bike for scratting around on.... brilliant.

+1 Agreed.

Africa Twin is a lovely bike, but for road touring it needs.....

- Tubeless Tyres for speed and puncture repairs
- Cruise Control
- Better wind protection
- Bigger fuel tank
- Better suspension capable of luggage and pillion loads
- Better seat for comfort
- More power and torque for overtakes

But as a second bike for scratting around on.... brilliant.

Bigger fuel tank ?

Is a 240 mile range not enough ? :)

Bigger fuel tank ?

Is a 240 mile range not enough ? :)

Literally ... only just enough but I'd prefer bigger.

Reason being, if you're out hooning with your mates on a days rideout... that 240 mile range disappears fast.

This means you become the weakest link, especially out with GSA Riders.

..... and that, is a PITA

Literally ... only just enough but I'd prefer bigger.

Reason being, if you're out hooning with your mates on a days rideout... that 240 mile range disappears fast.

This means you become the weakest link, especially out with GSA Riders.

..... and that, is a PITA

All your mates have GSAs ?

You poor sod ! :)

The worst bike for me is the Bandit 1250...

Small tank and crap fuel economy... usually because I'm caning it.

That bike is a problem for fuel range :(

Back
Top Bottom