How strong are the Vario panniers??

shaunandco

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I was just wondering earlier how much of an impact the vario's would stand up to? If you lay the bike gently on top of them would they take it or would they take a bit more abuse? I'm imagining that they won't be as strong as the ally panniers but then i like the fact that i can slim them down. In fact, are they stronger when collapsed or extended? No real reason for wondering other than idle curiosity!

If they are extended then you break the mechanism inside, they try to compact when you drop the bike. how do I know
So stronger when collapsed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they are extended then you break the mechanism inside, they try to compact when you drop the bike. how do I know
So stronger when collapsed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a feeling that that might be the case (no pun intended!)

Really fecking strong.

I sent 650GS down the road at plus 70 and the pannier saved the bike. A bit of grazed plastic and new metal skin later and it looked almost new.

I’ve taken my old 1200 to Maroc with them and plenty of off road spills later they were still in one piece and I carried on using them for years after.

If you manage to break them I think you’ll have far more serious things to be worried about........

Andred

Had a GS that had a lie down in the sand. The vario saved the swing arm at the wheel joint from being marked even. Only thing I found is they are heavy cases.

Dropped my 2010 DOHC at about 20mph a few months ago. R/H pannier took the brunt, still working fine, no cracks or damage apart from a scuffed lid. It was in the lower position. So I can say they are very strong! Which less than my pride which is reminded everytime I look at my pannier...

Send from somewhere, sometime, somehow...

My vario panniers survived several instances of me dropping the bike with only a few minor dents and scratches. I did, however, have an altercation with a cow which caused one of the top mounting hooks to break. (I got caught up in a herd of cattle being inexpertly driven along a narrow country lane and one of them bumped into the back of the bike - fortunately I had had the foresight to lower the sidestand and didn't get knocked over. The sidestand, incidentally, was fine).

Dropped my bike, and been knocked off my bike with the Vario's on. Minor scuffage was all. Bike now has 85k miles on it, of which 80k has been with the panniers on, nearly always in the closed position though. Only tend to open the right one if I'm leaving my helmet in it.
Mark

Thanks all- I must admit that I'm quite surprised by your answers, I would have thought them to be a lot more delicate than you have found them. Maybe I should stop being so precious with them!!

Can't say enough good things about the vario panniers, they're extremely practical, look great on the GS and they have tasted dirt in more than one occasion, saving the bike and showing no sign of distress except for some tiny scratches. If I ever get to upgrade my GS, I'll get the Vario again no doubt.

Dropped mine 3 times and the panniers survived the 2 low speed drops with minimal damage. The 3rd drop was at about 50 and the pannier was a write off but it saved the bike. My experience is that the mounts break before the panniers.

Stella Alpina vario or no?

Interesting.... I am doing the Stella Alpina this year with a pillion and have been debating with myself whether to leave the Vario panniers on or not on the climb.

On the one hand I think it may protect my delicate pillion and the bike if we fall but on the other hand it may break the pannier and then it is a ball ache to get the luggage home :rolleyes::nenau

Interesting.... I am doing the Stella Alpina this year with a pillion and have been debating with myself whether to leave the Vario panniers on or not on the climb.

On the one hand I think it may protect my delicate pillion and the bike if we fall but on the other hand it may break the pannier and then it is a ball ache to get the luggage home :rolleyes::nenau
Aim not to fall but if you must, and you like your pillion, mount the varios

I'm really surprised by all your answers- pleasantly so. I honestly expected that maybe they would survive a stationary drop but anything whilst moving would destroy them. I had no idea that they were so rugged.

Back
Top Bottom