Front Brake Light Switch - Top Tip

Cook1e

Reaction score
I was checking my 2001 R1150GS prior to going for an MoT the other day and I noticed the front brake light switch was a bit intermittent. I recalled having used switch cleaner on it last time, for the same problem, so I priced up a new switch - £48! :yikes

I searched RS etc and found the switch itself for a few quid, but the BMW version has a custom encapsulated connector/wiring :(

Reasoning that I couldn't make it worse, I took it apart and cleaned the contacts with fine wet & dry. The top pops off easily enough with a tiny screwdriver and there are no springs to launch themselves across the garage.

Hope this saves someone else £48 plus p&p :thumby:

If people want a piece of 5000 grade wet n dry... I have offcut strips from my scissor sharpening polishing pads for deburring and honing after using the diamond wheel. They are about 1/2" wide.... so ideal for this sort of thing! Every time I cut new sections from the sheets, I get a 1/2" (ish) strip left over - I use them for polishing awkward places.

3000 grade and 5000 grade.

If people want a piece of 5000 grade wet n dry... I have offcut strips from my scissor sharpening polishing pads for deburring and honing after using the diamond wheel. They are about 1/2" wide.... so ideal for this sort of thing! Every time I cut new sections from the sheets, I get a 1/2" (ish) strip left over - I use them for polishing awkward places.

3000 grade and 5000 grade.

That would be perfect - the finest I had was 600, used wetted with switch cleaner. Hopefully good for anothe 68,000 miles ;)

Back
Top Bottom