K1300GT issues/problems

Mech

Reaction score
A mate is looking at buying a 2009 K1300GT 16000 miles on the clock are there any major issues or faults he should be made aware of ? or are they a ok bike

Thanks

They’re great but look out for ABS pump can fail, rear drive unit bearings can fail, front wheel bearings, clutch basket wears and gets noisy, cam chain tensioner has been upgraded as early ones fail, radiator are prone to salt corrosion also gets clogged by road dirt and will cause it to overheat. Centre stand is weak but swap it for a 1300GT upgraded part and it’s fine.

also check vin number with BMW dealer to see if all the warranty recalls have been done.

That said I have a 2007 and if you stay on top of the servicing and running repairs it’s an absolute joy to ride especially for long distance touring.

Definitely get the frame number and contact BMW and see if there are any outstanding safety campaigns

I think there is a Plastic Chain guide required

Oh and the switchgear is allegedly fickle and fails regularly depending on usage

1300 is much better than the 1200, the original faults were sorted apart from the hot start issue. There is an upgraded loom recall for that.

My 2009 1300 has had one switchgear, rear wheel bearing (found when they did the disk carrier recall) and a leak at the fitting into the oil tank. All done under Extended Warranty which is probably a good idea especially on an unknown bike. If the ESA fails, that’s £1500! EW is less than £1 a day without roadside assistance.

It is a fabulous bike though, and underrated now the sexy 6 is around. The 1300 is quicker in every gear than a lardy 1600.

Radiator is only a problem for year-round riders imho.

HTH

A

Back
Top Bottom