2017 K1600GT reverse gear not working.......

Mark Hooton

Cymarcbikeparts
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This is a clip of a malfunctioning reverse gear on a K1600GT. Instead of the illuminated `R` staying solid red and the reverse gear being selected it flashes for a short while without engaging then reverts back to the green N.

Bike has done 7000 miles, its mine, had it from new and its only just started playing up. Initially it did start to `mis-engage` but now it just does not even try.........

Any ideas on what`s wrong guys? Anybody had the same problem?

:confused:

Any other clues ?. Any strange noises ?. Have you tried rocking it whilst trying to engage it ?.

Any other clues ?. Any strange noises ?. Have you tried rocking it whilst trying to engage it ?.

I`m sorry - I know more about a GS (and that ain`t much :rob) than the K series so I can`t be much of a help here, I`m sorry about that!

I`ve just been out to try it again - seemed to work first time when cold then after a short warming up period it became intermittent again.

A couple of times it sounded like the gear was trying to engage but could not fully engage and then it just did not even try, going back to N as usual.

I haven`t tried rocking it nor have I put it on my 911 however I recently did a fault code scan and to memory (which is failing the more I drink :bounce1) I can`t recall any fault codes being thrown up.

If you check the K16 forum, there have been plenty of riders with a similar issue, mainly in the US ........ www.k1600forum.com/forum

Early reverse bikes it was the drive - sometimes sheared, sometimes not engaging. Later bikes like yours it seems to be more the software/sensor issue. Some say the problem emerged after they stopped the bike with reverse engaged. Others say a flick of the clutch, which should not be touched during reverse operation, seemed to wake the system up & reset itself.

Whatever, sounds like it's an annoying trip to the dealer to talk warranty. Reverse best not used until then.

Back
Top Bottom