Austria Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc

Let's Av It
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,Intend to travel down to Austria within the next few months just wondered when is the best time to visit.
Thanks

Best weather in the Alps should be late June to end of August when nights start closing in, that said they as likely as us to get an Indian Summer or snow in the hills
Some resorts will be much quieter in early September as will the roads and often any entertainment in bars etc stop at the middle of the month.
It is the Alps enjoy 4 seasons in a day

Late June through to mid September

I would favour June or September as it will be a bit cooler and outside school holidays. Can be very hot in July & August, especially if nipping over the border into Italy.

September and even just into very early October, is great.

The tourists (except for you) are near enough gone. Some of the hotels might be shut, as they close for their own holidays before the winter season.

Hi,Intend to travel down to Austria within the next few months just wondered when is the best time to visit.
Thanks

Went 1st two weeks in July last year and weather was gorgeous, with light traffic (except the Stelvio on a Sunday morning!). Going again at the same time this year, incorporating BMW Motorrad Days in the middle weekend. Just hope weather is just as good.

Back in 2006 we crossed a pass in heavy snow... temp was 4 degrees and we got held up waiting for the snow plough to get us through..... the date....

7th August.......

I’ve always gone to the alps early or late season . As Wapping said, late September can be lovely .
The showers will be heavier in July/August as will the traffic and it’ll be getting sticky in the valleys . I’d leave it till September , and may well be going that way at the same time again this year .

Back in 2006 we crossed a pass in heavy snow... temp was 4 degrees and we got held up waiting for the snow plough to get us through..... the date....

7th August.......

6th September, plus 24 degrees in the valley, flecks of snow at -3 degrees on the top of the Stelvio. You never can tell in the mountains.

I went in summer 2007 - July, I think. Waiting for a breakdown truck near the Grossglockner I got horrendous sunburn, then soaked to the skin and frozen in the space of an hour and a half.

A few days before the breakdown, I also had that "30 degrees at the bottom of the valley and -3 at the top". Choosing the right gloves is a nightmare!

But I loved Austria.

Doc, the Vignette is like our tax disc used to be. You have to buy one but they are cheap as chips and are available from motorway services as you get closer to Austria. I can highly recommend the Hotel Enzian in Landeck as a base, cracking hotel with a workshop and a resident mechanic should you need any work doing or a tyre replacing. Great food too.

https://www.hotel-enzian.com/en

The Stelvio-Pass still hasn’t opened yet

You can get up from Bormio but can’t get down the other side

It’s normally open by the start of June ⛄

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Second that re Hotel Enzian spent four nights there last week great accommodation , good spot to base yourself.

Doc, the Vignette is like our tax disc used to be. You have to buy one but they are cheap as chips and are available from motorway services as you get closer to Austria. I can highly recommend the Hotel Enzian in Landeck as a base, cracking hotel with a workshop and a resident mechanic should you need any work doing or a tyre replacing. Great food too.

https://www.hotel-enzian.com/en

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom