790 stopped dead

Hmm..

https://youtu.be/KYEgaivJSUc

Not Great there are YouTube videos about cleaning/ servicing/ replacing the fuel pump.
Just started taking the pump out of the bike as this post/video arrived!

I was hoping to see a filter after removing the pump from the tank.

Not to be honest after watching the Guglatech video telling me about how hard it is to disassemble the pump, and seeing it myself (and wondering how much a new pump is!) together with the fact that I don't know that's the problem, and it's under warranty, I'm going to jib out and reassemble and let the dealer sort it.

The Guglatech over-pump filter looks good though, and easy to service/clean, think I'll get one. Tried their neck filter before on an 1190 and took it back out, took forever to fill the tank.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

May not be related Ian but I had this happen to me once on my Harley, I got some petrol from a station in the middle of nowhere, rode the bike for about 150 kms all was fine and then engine just cut out, got the bike running again few miles down the road same thing, now at this point I was thinking shit fuel, however it was not this at all, it turned out to be the battery was playing up and dying, new battery and never happened again, just a thought.
I doubt it's the battery, being new, and showing good voltage. But I did already check the terminals.

I think if your problem was the filter the bike would run poorly a lot. Personally I doubt it's that but willing to be proved wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think if your problem was the filter the bike would run poorly a lot. Personally I doubt it's that but willing to be proved wrong.

My opinion also, and dealer's. Can't find any residue in the bottom of the tank with my finger, and not noticed anything floating on a full tank of fuel.

Did you do the 15 minute reset?

Start bike without touching throttle. Allow to idle for 15 mins - Don't touch a single thing. Done. The ECU uses all the base settings it's just learned.

Still got warning light on? Disconnect battery.

Ride the bike and if it does it again visit dealer.

Thanks all!

Apex, the light went out once the bike was off for a couple hours. Have done the reset before after fitting different pipes, Powercell pods etc on the bigger bikes.

Bob, yes that makes a lot of sense, it did just cut totally dead with zero warning, will check that out!

Could be a faulty sidestand switch or out of position. If the sidestand then moves it cuts the engine. I've had the sidestand come down on my 690 a few times after decent air. As expected, it cuts the bike dead. At least I now know what on earth is going on!

Could be a faulty sidestand switch or out of position. If the sidestand then moves it cuts the engine. I've had the sidestand come down on my 690 a few times after decent air. As expected, it cuts the bike dead. At least I now know what on earth is going on!

Imo it's best to bypass a side stand switch on any offroad bike. :)

Makes sense. I had to bypass one roadside in the middle of nowhere Canada on a GSA years ago, never fixed it or missed it. And never rode off with it down either :-D

I'm not convinced it's my problem in this case though, as I was on an A-road at the time.

I probably should do it. I’ve got a plug with the resistor in my spares on the bike in case it fails.

We’ve just come back from the Isle of Man. One of our group with a bypassed sidestand managed to ride off with it down. Luckily we all had radios so he was told straight away. :eek:

OK, so I finally got to the dealer (JD) this afternoon. Th problem had't recurred.

It was stored as a fault with the throttle position sensor. Specifically, error P060E, "Engine electronics control unit", "Performance of internal control module for throttle valve position sensor faulty".

He spoke to KTM UK, who said they hadn't had this error before (I do like to be a trailblazer!). Maybe it was a one-off, so going to see if it recurs, and if so replace the throttle bodies. Not going far until Spain in September.

Coming from 10 years of GSA's, and five years of 1190/1290, I love the 790 more every time I ride it, even on road!

Superb bike IMHO.

I shouldn't tempt fate, but the problem hasn't recurred as yet :)

OK, so I finally got to the dealer (JD) this afternoon. Th problem had't recurred.

It was stored as a fault with the throttle position sensor. Specifically, error P060E, "Engine electronics control unit", "Performance of internal control module for throttle valve position sensor faulty".

He spoke to KTM UK, who said they hadn't had this error before (I do like to be a trailblazer!). Maybe it was a one-off, so going to see if it recurs, and if so replace the throttle bodies. Not going far until Spain in September.

The classic "never heard of that before" line from a manufacturer. TPS issues aren't uncommon in ride-by-wire bikes.

Back
Top Bottom