790 stopped dead

IanC

Reaction score
After 1770 miles, my R's engine stopped dead without any warning halfway round a bend this afternoon, and the engine management light came on (amber). Bike restarted OK and I rode home gently as it was only seven miles, and all appeared OK. Plenty of fuel, and not hot or being pushed hard at the time. But the warning light is still on after a few restarts.

Anyone experienced similar? Does it sound like crap in the tank, so a fuel starvation/pressure issue?

Fortunately it's all stock. No aftermarket cans, de-CAT, SAS or charcoal delete (yet!).

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

After 1770 miles, my R's engine stopped dead without any warning halfway round a bend this afternoon, and the engine management light came on (amber). Bike restarted OK and I rode home gently as it was only seven miles, and all appeared OK. Plenty of fuel, and not hot or being pushed hard at the time. But the warning light is still on after a few restarts.

Anyone experienced similar? Does it sound like crap in the tank, so a fuel starvation/pressure issue?

Fortunately it's all stock. No aftermarket cans, de-CAT, SAS or charcoal delete (yet!).

Did you have the fuel filter tank checked when it had it’s first service ? There was a recall check, something to do with the lining of the fuel tank I think..

Did you have the fuel filter tank checked when it had it’s first service ? There was a recall check, something to do with the lining of the fuel tank I think..
TBH I don't know. My dealer's pretty clued up usually. I can't believe mum are still having this problem, they were having it with early 1290's, maybe even 1190's.

I might drop the pump out and take a look before visiting the dealer. Light has gone out now.

Surely easier to let them read the code?
That's my usual reaction when people talk about investigating problems under warranty!

But may take a look myself first as dealer's 90 miles away, so it's a full day plus waiting perhaps ten days for an appointment.

I slightly similar thing happened to a guy I know on the dealer demo bike but that turned out to be a dodgy battery. The bike was running fine but 30 miles down the road the ECU didn’t like the voltage it was getting and just shut down completely. In that instance the bike bike wouldn’t restart however and had to be recovered..

You need to follow my example and let the bike have a rest from it’s labours on it’s side while in the muddy stuff. Either side will do. Seems to prevent the debris from settling at the bottom of the tank :thumb

On the downside, my back isn’t appreciating picking the bike up all the time. :blast

I’d bet my bottom dollar that it’s crap out of the fuel tank blocking up the fuel filter - a good mate of mine has had exactly the same problem along with two other guys he know - seems that KTM’s quality control ain’t quite there with the new 790 yet - shame as a fab bike

Spoke to my dealer, he thought it wouldn't be fuel filter as there's usually some warning. But we'll see. Not had a chance to pull the filter or get to dealer yet.

I'm surprised they're still having this problem, started a couple of years ago with the 1290. Maybe also 1190 previously, but don't remember hearing of it then.

Maybe it's not the same problem ?
The fuel tank issue sounds the same - residue (powder) not thoroughly cleaned out after the moulding process.

But got a feeling my problem may be a different one. Will report back when I know....

Spoke to my dealer, he thought it wouldn't be fuel filter as there's usually some warning. But we'll see. Not had a chance to pull the filter or get to dealer yet.

I'm surprised they're still having this problem, started a couple of years ago with the 1290. Maybe also 1190 previously, but don't remember hearing of it then.

Keep us posted.

So at the moment the bike runs fine and the warning light (does this flash in a sequence indicating which fault???) Has gone out?

My 1290 did this twice when the bike was sub 600 service. Looked down, realized it had conked and pressed starter - fired up both times no probs. Luckily happened at safe-ish moments. I say safe-ish because there's never a 'good' moment. Hasn't done it once since and doubt it will.

My 790R has been perfect. The rider could use some work though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How tricky is it to remove/clean/swap the fuel filter on standard bike? Is it worth carrying a spare ?

May not be related Ian but I had this happen to me once on my Harley, I got some petrol from a station in the middle of nowhere, rode the bike for about 150 kms all was fine and then engine just cut out, got the bike running again few miles down the road same thing, now at this point I was thinking shit fuel, however it was not this at all, it turned out to be the battery was playing up and dying, new battery and never happened again, just a thought.

modern bikes have so many things monitoring what the engine is going that if there is even a minor aberration it sends a fault code saying engine management problem . Plug it into the computer find the fault correct with computer delete error code and off you go :)

How tricky is it to remove/clean/swap the fuel filter on standard bike? Is it worth carrying a spare ?

For the 1*90s there's an aftermarket solution that completely eliminates the in tank filter. The 790 probably has the same pump/system as many other KTM, so should work.

For the 1*90s there's an aftermarket solution that completely eliminates the in tank filter. The 790 probably has the same pump/system as many other KTM, so should work.

I did similar with a KTM 690, uprated the pump and fitted a much better external filter.

It’s not right that solutions have to be found for these issues. They are not exactly cheap bikes.

Back
Top Bottom