Fuel strip failure what are the options?

Jersey_GS

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My fuel strip appears to have failed no bars on the guage and warning lights.

Its a 2006 GSA the current strip was replaced by the local dealer about 5 years ago. Unfortunately the local dealer does not service bikes any more (so im told) so i wont have the option of using a BMW service agent unless i go to the nearest dealer in Rennes France.

I am handy with tools and electrics and have a GS-911 diagnostics tool so if i bought a new strip from Motorworks how difficult is it to fit and calibrate.

I have searched other threads and not sure of alternative aftermarket float conversions any recomendations????

I have been using the trip meter but prefer to have the bike properly fixed.

I would replace it using one from Motorworks, although when mine failed (2010 bike, failed in 2017) I got it replaced by the dealer so that I'd have the 2yr warranty. If you fit it yourself, no warranty.... I did dismantle mine to see what was wrong and found a black spot on the strip - could not see a way to repair it reliably.

It is not that hard to fit and the GS911 has a calibrate function and procedure. I had to take the tank off, but simple enough.

My labour bill at the dealer was reduced a bit because there was a warranty recall for cracks in the fuel pump connector bosses and they replaced the fuel pump left and right (GSA).

Here's a link to some photos I took at the time... exactly 2 years ago it failed, on 10th June!

https://goo.gl/photos/AEbxhqze16k8U1Zm8

Attachments

• Fuel Sensor Strip.JPG
    Fuel Sensor Strip.JPG
    180 KB · Views: 383
Is this the same issue that’s ‘fixed’ with piezo gas lighter? My 2006 has been fine since I did that -

There’s YouTube videos on what and how to do it

After you’ve fixed it it takes about 2-3 minutes for it to register on the gauge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responces

I have had 350miles from a full tank so could get away with roughly 10 miles a litre if using the trip meter probaly refuelling between 260 -300

i think though I'll have a stab at fitting a new one from Motorworks i want to get rid of the dash warning light

Thanks Bin Ridin for the info and photos :thumb Its more the calibration i am concerned with, It cant be simple as my local dealer took about 5 attempts and 2 strips before they fixed it the last time.

That is interesting about the piezo-electric fix, I thought about it but I decided that it would really annoy me to have to fix it again if it failed again.... so I spent the money.

I think you can find info on the GS911 site. I think it is important to calibrate the strip DRY first. Handle the thing with great care, I would not be surprised if half of them are f##ked while being installed.
Mine worked for 6 years in Saudi Arabia and lasted 18 months in Ireland. I think ethanol may have something to do with it.

Definitely connect up the new one outside the tank before inserting or immersing, then hit the calibrate button....

https://www.hexcode.co.za/new-beta-version-1306-released

Please note that the strip doesn't just hang around inside the tank, the bottom of the strip fits into a notch inside, near the bottom of the tank. You can confirm it's position by observing the end of the strip via the fuel pump aperture.

Thanks for the replies I have looked on Youtube for calibration info but only saw the piezo-electric fix being demonstrated. I am considering trying it.

Although i have ordered a replacement strip from motorworks (before i viewed the demos)

Thanks Bin Ridin for the hexcode link I will update my software for it, it all looks automated which will hopefully work fine.

Thanks Kenny top tip, will install it correctly :thumb easily overlooked i guess

Thanks for the replies I have looked on Youtube for calibration info but only saw the piezo-electric fix being demonstrated. I am considering trying it.

Although i have ordered a replacement strip from motorworks (before i viewed the demos)

Thanks Bin Ridin for the hexcode link I will update my software for it, it all looks automated which will hopefully work fine.

Thanks Kenny top tip, will install it correctly :thumb easily overlooked i guess

This is for the R1200RT but no doubt the Calibration Part will be the same.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1Wp_tW0ylo

Thank you DeuceBG that's the kind of tutorial i was after more involved than i was aware of but still do able :thumb

Back
Top Bottom