Valve cover refurb

Benhur Malta

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

Working on bringing up my 2010 twincam back to as near perfect condition as possible. The paint condition on the cylinder head/valve covers is less than perfect. It is stained/slightly discolored on one cylinder near the exhaust header

My options are as follows:

1. Identify the original paint color and respray. Did not manage to source the paint yet...
2. Spray them Matt black with Wurth high temperature paint. The cheapest option but how durable is it?
3. Source new /good second hand covers...probably expensive but keeps everything “factory”
4. Purchase some fancy cylinder head protectors and cover the shabby bits up. I need to improve on the protection on the bike anyway...

With a limited budget to spend on this say 150 pounds....what would you do?

R.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’d double the budget and purchase two new valve covers then you’ll have an easy perfect result . That saying , now that these bikes will soon be £20k, I suspect that valve covers are no longer £150 each

I'm considering getting mine aquadipped in a carbon fibre finish.

Does anyone know what kind of temps they reach??

Sent from a U11

Ive also considered getting mine repainted after dropping loads of throttle body cleaner on both sides. Didnt realise it would fetch the paint off.
I spoke to these people http://www.taccoatings.co.uk/ who recoat guns with high temp coatings and they said the valve covers would be fine with their finishes. Didnt get a price though, they would need to see the job before quoting.
Cant see it being cheap. Based in Hereford.

I rubbed mine down as the powder coat was crazing, then resprayed with etch primer and dark grey VHT paint which I stoved off in the oven. It stank the kitchen out but the paint finish is now 18 months old and still perfect.

I'm considering getting mine aquadipped in a carbon fibre finish.

Does anyone know what kind of temps they reach??

Sent from a U11

not that high. I often rest my (trousered) legs on the cylinders on long journeys. Harley esque....But I'm wild like that!

Decided to go black with mine, they needed a tidy up and I like to be a bit different :D

99T8YSh.jpg

That looks great......you need to get your head protectors done now!,!
(aqua dipped with a carbon finish IMHO)

Sent from a U11

Back
Top Bottom