Rust/ Corrosion on ESA shock

Ollie GBR

Reaction score
I've got a 2017 R1200 GSA with 9k miles. Never ridden in the winter and always kept clean by the previous owner.
It had a warrenty check at BMW a few weeks ago and nothing was highlighted, (I was expecting to be offered an extended warranty - didn't happen so assume BMW don't provide this?).

Just had a week's trip in Europe and washed the bike over the weekend, The ESA shock, (upper inner chrome part) has corrosion all over it - shouldn't the Warranty check have highlighted this? Is it something to be concerned about?

Depends, if it is above the area of maximum compression no. If rusted area is within maximum compression, it will eventually leak oil.

Easiest way, put a cable tie around at bottom of shaft, then go for a ride, two up laden. If the cable tie is above corroded area then I would want shock replaced.

Make sure your concern is documented, that way, if it does happen, later it can't be claimed as out of warranty etc.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip, I've booked it in for a service next week and have highlighted to BMW the issue. Let's see what they come back with.
I thought others might have had a similar issue and this was commonplace.

Hi, I had exactly this on a July 2017 1200gs. I pointed it out on the 1st service and the dealer just changed the whole shock under warranty. Interestingly the new unit had a different design and wasn’t chromed where the original had rusted. The fact they just changed it and didn’t argue, and then the design of the shock changed, makes me think this is a know issue.

It's been in for a service pictures taken/ sent off to BMW. It's a few weeks out of warranty and the garage have a good reputation so.......bnige

Back
Top Bottom