Gijon or Oviedo

Andrew 789

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,
Me and SHMBO are heading off to northern Spain in August and looking for somewhere to spend 2 days around the Gijon or Oviedo area before moving on to Santiago de Compostela.
Both of these places look OK but appear to be quite large cities so maybe should be avoided.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Andy

There is a thread on this somewhere, with recommendations ....... last summer IIRC.

Both are busy Cities, lively at night & not without merit if that's what you want. Traffic can get manic in Oviedo.

Otherwise, if you want peace & tranquillity, I would suggest Cangas de Onis - the Parador is an excellent base for some nice rides, or wander into town & try the local cider.

There is a thread on this somewhere, with recommendations ....... last summer IIRC.

Both are busy Cities, lively at night & not without merit if that's what you want. Traffic can get manic in Oviedo.

Otherwise, if you want peace & tranquillity, I would suggest Cangas de Onis - the Parador is an excellent base for some nice rides, or wander into town & try the local cider.

Agreed,the Parador at Cangas DO is great.
Or head west a bit to the coast at Cudillero.Fantastic in the evening to chill if the weather is good.

A bit of peace and quiet would be nice (we are both in our fifties) and the coast is always a good choice. So Cudillero is looking favourite so far.

A bit of peace and quiet would be nice (we are both in our fifties)

You’ll be fecked in 10 years then. Feck me, you ride an Adventure motorcycle. You are at least 10 years or more off drawing your state pension. Your avatar shows you as the Joker. Live a bit.

I’m over there now. As has been said Cudillero is great and Santillana quant too.

Not yet been to Oviedo but it’s reputed to be well worth it. However Gijon didn’t impress at all.

Bimbled down towards the Picos today and took this pic en route. Now stopped near Potes which is impressive - lots to see and do.

Attachments

• 6E8D8F65-97E4-400C-836C-E24544E566A0.jpg
    6E8D8F65-97E4-400C-836C-E24544E566A0.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 541
I would take one of the coastal towns over a larger city. I initially chose Luarca but a lack of hotels meant I went further west to Navia. Palacio Arias & Hotel y Apartamentos Arias was really nice. Picture shows my RS parked in the grounds. Plenty of choice for food in the town. Roads inland are superb as shown.

Attachments

• 2018-09-22 22.26.13.jpg
    2018-09-22 22.26.13.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 538
  • 2018-09-22 15.17.59.jpg
    2018-09-22 15.17.59.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 515
  • 2018-09-22 15.21.31.jpg
    2018-09-22 15.21.31.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 507
Probably not that helpful, but we thought the Hernan Cortes hotel in Gijon was not VFM, I think we parked in an underground public car park reasonably close by. It was the only hotel we haven’t enjoyed in Spain, all the others were better.

You’ll be fecked in 10 years then. Feck me, you ride an Adventure motorcycle. You are at least 10 years or more off drawing your state pension. Your avatar shows you as the Joker. Live a bit.

Point taken (its been a tough year though)

I second the advice to avoid both.

It's not that they aren't "nice" cities but I think you will be left with the thought: "why did I bother?". Oviedo, is really not a tourist city although it does have its fair share of cultural sites, great eateries and watering holes. However, if the weather is hot, it becomes cloying and if it's raining, it rains most of the day. Not so Gijon; generally cooler and being coastal the weather changes more throughout the day. As with (almost) any city, in order to make the most of it, you have to study the "Secret City" beforehand to get the most out of it. Usually this means tagging along with a local because in both of these cities, it's the bars and restaurants that are less obvious that offer the best quality.

If you do decide to go to Gijon, though, if you stick to Cima De Villa in the middle of the coastal city, you won't go far wrong for entertainment, good food and atmosphere.

Cudillero: is fine for a stop, as are Luarca, Navia and Ribadeo. However, booking on the fly is not recommended to avoid disappointment. It may already be too late. In Cudillero you will have to leave your bike on the sea wall but it will be safe there. I'd avoid weekends.

Luarca: Stay well away on or around the 22nd. Local festivities (San Timoteo) cause complete chaos and not only will you struggle for accommodation but you will struggle full stop, for everything.

If peace and quiet is what you seek then check out https://www.hotelrural3cabos.com/en/

I'd avoid the A8 altogether and use the N632/634. If you go on the DC you will miss the best part of that coast, especially if the weather is good.

Along the way I can recommend the following stops in order of appearance:

Oviñana, Cabo Vidio.

https://www.turismocudillero.com/faros/faro-de-cabo-vidio/

My great-grandfather built the lighthouse. He was an arse (allegedly) and he only built the main building, not the horrible 60's addition to the east of the lamp. Eateries are of a very high quality, Bar Rest El Café in particular, El Regueirin does a menu of the day (go hungry) and there should be a new brasserie opening called El Tizón by then. Or just chill in Cai Milio. if you see a GS there with Sp number plates, cameras front and back, a TT (instead of a NAV), usually parked inside the terrace, then ask for Fred but if you roll up on UK plates, I'll come and say hello anyway.

Cabo Busto Lighthouse.

https://www.turismoasturias.es/descubre/naturaleza/rutas/senderismo/cabo-busto

If you like cakes there is a famous cake shop there but there will be a queue.

Puerto De Vega.

https://www.google.com/search?q=puerto+de+vega+spain&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiEqLHZ9-DiAhXB8eAKHf02Al0Q_AUIECgB&biw=1404&bih=686

Fabulous quiet little fishing village for a coffee/beer or just chill and leg stretch. You can park right on the sea wall.

Viavelez.

https://www.google.com/search?q=viavelez+asturias&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_vvrT-ODiAhVHxYUKHZWADdIQ_AUIECgB&biw=1404&bih=686

Same again but smaller.

Tapia de Casariego

https://www.google.com/search?q=tapia+de+casariego&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjVs4L6-ODiAhWs4YUKHasxDJAQ_AUIESgC&biw=1404&bih=686

Bigger than the previous two. I'd recommend going right down to the port and ramp area where you can park your bike easily enough.

And lastly. We found a really cool place to have a swim (dangerous beach/riptides, be careful) called Praia Do Castros just after Ribadeo but just before Rinlo (another great little village to visit with a coastal walk).

On the clifftop ( a mere 10m high) where you park your bikes on the side of the road there is a temporary "chiringuito" run by two brothers-in-law. One's Argentinian who will serve you up an ice cold beer, a plate of ribs and a plate of freshly cooked octopus unsder a parasol that will have you begging for more.

I'm sure Arsey will provide some photographic evidence because I have recently deleted 3,000 photos from my cloud accidentally including the ones from last years trip :confused:

If the weather is nice, this really is a great stop...... as before, weekends will be crowded but in August it may be academic.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&biw=1404&bih=686&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=423_XN3iF874aNitgIgN&q=praia+dos+castros&oq=praia+dos+castros&gs_l=img.12...15781.18640..20635...0.0..0.77.147.2......0....1..gws-wiz-img.gsm8l6bPNkI

Enjoy.

"called Praia Do Castros just after Ribadeo but just before Rinlo (another great little village to visit with a coastal walk)."

That should read just AFTER RINLO heading west and it's Praia DOS Castros.

Having been to both in the last 2 weeks I would avoid. The 3 cabas (3 capes) about 7 miles outside of Luarca is excellent. Otherwise I would agree with Cangas as a great stop over.

Cheers

I would avoid both. As well as the excellent advice above, Potes is a good base; I prefer it to Cangas de Onis. If you want to go further West, Ribadeo is a fine place, more of a working place than, say, Luarca. Ortigueira, further West again, is really nice. I've stayed in all these places by just turning up on the day, but I think in August you should book ahead.

Having suggested Cangas I can't deny that I like Potes too; it's a lovely old stone village which provides a fascinating climb/ride up the La Hermida defile as well as the San Glorio pass, followed by many others along the 243/N625

However, taking it easy & enjoying the sights it is a days ride from Panes to Cangas/Villanueva. Potes is lovely when the weather is right but it's a bit far off the route suggested by the OP & can get shrouded in cloud.

I well recall riding the Los Beyos defile, en route to Riano & Leon one wet misty day. It's very precipitous, with a narrow road that barely gets sunlight. - what should drop off the steep cliff right in front of us but a ewe, with a full wet fleece. Luckily we missed the poor thing, just - imagine explaining that to your insurers.

If your not booked in Santiago de Compostela, I can recommend Miradoiro De Belvís as a good basic hotel. When we got there they directed us to park the bikes under cover right outside the entrance. Plus there is an underground carpark.

If your not booked in Santiago de Compostela, I can recommend Miradoiro De Belvís as a good basic hotel. When we got there they directed us to park the bikes under cover right outside the entrance. Plus there is an underground carpark.

OK, but if you have the budget, treat yourself to a night at the 5* Hostal Dos Reis Catolicos, on Pza. Do Obradoiro adjacent to the Cathedral. Part of the Paradores chain, the place really is special & a match for the spectacular Hostal San Marcos at Leon. If you don't want to stretch to a 5* spend, then do try & find an excuse to drop into these magnificent places for a look around, if only to take a drink/snack at the bar.

Llanes is lovely along the coast. Small but busy town.

We recently spent a couple of nights at Arenas de Cabrales which is great for touring the Picos. Very quiet friendly place.

If you want totally chill try a few nights in a cabin at Camping Lagos de Somiedo. One of the best places I've ever been to! NB if you are camping note that vehicles aren't allowed in the actual camp ground but there are wheelbarrows for porting your stuff in and out. Also hire woollen blankets for the night as it's chuffing cold up there, yes, even in August!

Back
Top Bottom