SMH5FM Issues

Neil W

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Brother in law is on his second Sena SMH5FM intercom ,first one bought in lafe April was faulty out of the box........no output to one of the speakers.
After a load of slavver it was replaced by the dealer in early May, new unit worked fine out of the box and was fitted in his new Schuberth C 3 pro and for the first half a dozen uses it easily gave 5 to 6 hours use before the low battery warning came up and even then would work for at least another 20 minutes.
Came away last week and the fully charged unit is giving the low battery warning after 2 to 2 1/2 hours then immediately switching off.
If cherged when setting off and left plugged into to the bikes usb socket it will last for 4 hours tjen switch off.
It has all of the latest firmware etc and a factory reset made no difference, anyone had similar issues and were they fixed or is it returning another unit to supplier ?

I would say return it again. We have Sena FMH5s. Batteries last 10+ hours but that is just paired to our phones and intercom use although we keep the channel open all the time we are on the bike. If your BiL is playing music or continuous say nav or something that will use more battery. I think volume level has an appreciable impact on battery too. As they have LiPo batteries the shelf life shouldn’t affect things.

I am on my second device, the first one scrapped after 3 years but really due to it having got soaked after I left it in a puddle. The battery issues I had were declining and random run time and slow to recharge. Battery is replaceable but it’s a bodge and not with a like for like battery at least not last time I looked.

I have a Sena SMH5 , I recently had to change the battery. It was down to lasting around 2 hours. Now back up to over 6. I've NOT run it low since I changed it so I don't know exactly.

Battery was bought on Ebay and dead simple to change if you get the new battery with the connector attached.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142915039399

First option will be returning the new replacement unit as by the end of the trip away battery life was down to below 2 hours, it was paired with my sena smh10 and he hasn't had it linked up to his sat nav/phone or been playing music.

No doubt another couple of weeks delay before they replace the defective unit

If you wear plugs, halve the battery life

You need to wind the volly up to hear with plugs in, which uses more power to drive the amp / speakers

one speaker not working is usually the cause of the speaker/ mic plug not locating correctly,

a quick wiggle used to sort mine out.

Normally occured when i plugged the thing in after charging. In the end i charged the whole unit in situ

problem solved

Back
Top Bottom