Crash Damage Repair

weealwyn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I came off the bike at the end of April, had some surgery and now awaiting confirmation of apparent problems with said surgery and a possible redo.
As a result - I have no idea when I am going to be able to ride again (hopefully before the end of summer) - so I have been in no hurry at all to look over and prep the bike, but had a look at it just yesterday as it was beautifully sunny and I needed to move it for some building work at the house.

Surprisingly I only discovered very light damage. Firstly some scrapes and gouges on the cylinder head protector, luggage rack and engine bars - I personally don't feel the need to sort these other than rust proofing.
What does need attention is the front bracket for the screen, I will add a picture below. It seems the mounting grommets attached to a bar running through the support frame have sheared off at each side. Considering I am a very large bloke and hit the screen pretty hard - I was surprised this was the only thing to give.

a429b3d2adfba213e36ed10731a91554.jpg

a08fdab84ad6df1194c3ab084c870efb.jpg
b9668f3870ba8ccc8c5ddf91c25a5099.jpg

So I have a couple of questions
1. what might this bracket or part be called? (have tried searching the forum for various combinations of screen bracket etc and come up short) .
2. Is this a repairable/replaceable part? (I was concerned it may be integral to the whole frame mount) . and
3. Where might I source some type of repair other than duct tape or zip ties?

Thanks for reading this far if you have.
cheers
alwyn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Item 9 on that oem reference. They are sacrifical, so break easily. You'll have to drill them out (or at least I did), but with care it is an easy fix.

Send from somewhere, sometime, somehow...

I had to do this repair some years ago. My recollection is that it is quite straight forward. Get the screen off and all will be revealed. I didn't need to drill mine out - they were quite loose and I think I poked them out with a posidrive.

One option is a power drill spinning slowly anti clockwise while pressed against the portion of thread that has broken off. If v low torque then this may spin it out

ISTR these plastic inserts are a simple push fit and not threaded.

Mine were replaced by sturdier aftermarket alloy items (Wunderlich I think), and I recall drilling through the screen mounting bracket to be able to pass the threaded bar through that holds them, unlike the plastic press fit items.

I have a pair if you want them ...

I actually have a pair of these widgets. I took them off my 2010 GSA when I fitted tobinators. They have been sitting in my toolbox ever since. I no longer have the GSA so if you want them I will post free of charge. They have a bit of gunk on them that was used to retain the nut ... it wipes off ... message me and I will post them.

Vince

Attachments

• IMG_0573.jpg
    IMG_0573.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 177
ISTR these plastic inserts are a simple push fit and not threaded.

Mine were replaced by sturdier aftermarket alloy items (Wunderlich I think), and I recall drilling through the screen mounting bracket to be able to pass the threaded bar through that holds them, unlike the plastic press fit items.

On the 05 I have the original plastic ones were pushfit. I swapped out for something called “hard parts”, made of stainless itch. Bar threaded all the way through.

Back
Top Bottom