Considering to order R1250RT

@Arek: some comments re your initial post:
1. The full LE version with satnav and everything on is just north of £21k.
2. BMW UK pre orders and prebuilds a bulk of bikes that are available for distrubution to dealers and thus to you, the client, at relatively short notice: 2-3 weeks. There are various SE/LE combos available but all will have keyless with no exception. Its the way BMW perceives customers want it. That means you are free to order what you want, but not really as a fully bespoke new build will take 3 months. If you order tomorrow, your bespoke order will be built after the Aug break and will be here ... I believe wk commencing Sep23rd. So, that means you will have keyless like the rest of us.
3. Forget Kawasaki, Yamahas and George White type discounts. You might get a pair of gloves.
4. Bikes are good to ride, better than most. The feel is premium and are ergonomically excellent. Actual material quality, longevity and reliability is on par to Japs (mostly, but not always) but certainly no better. Aftermarket service, dealer network and warranties are top though and on a new bike you will have no issues for a few years. Do eventually buy the extended warranty.
5. RT LC 1200 and that engine in general is the best overall bike I have had. Most say the 1250 is better still. I believe it having had a go on a GS for 10 miles recently.

As others have said, i think any decent deals will be on the 1200rt.

On the 1250, i suspect it is likely to be on the accessories that you will get any movement; little on the bike itself. However, as theop says, the se and le specs are pretty well established (and equipped), so any variation from them may not be worth it time/cost wise.

Most BMW dealers are good - they have to jump through hoops to get and manage and keep the franchise so most have a minimum standard that is above other manufacturers. This comes at a price which means its a costly franchise to have so if you are looking for discounts offers or flexibility then head for the large BMW dealers as the volume brings more annual bonus which some of those dealers invest in staff and customer service. I deal with Allan Jefferies in Yorkshire and they are very good because they have a huge business and they are always looking for used bikes which makes them hungry for sales.

Additions ?? Depends on what you are using it for - 1 thing i would consider straight out of the box is the front fender extender (keeps the front casing free from stone chips) other than that it would be fine out of the showroom for most things. Seat is good for many UK miles (if going abroad it gets uncomfortable in hot countries because its not as supportive as a seargent seat but the seargent will set you back approx £600 if you go heated so you would have to be doing big miles in hot climate or have lots of bullion to invest in it).

Sat Nav - one thing you might want to do is look online for a Nav 5 for the bike - the NAV 6 is a slightly wider screen and is less susceptible to bright sunlight but the Navs fit in a holder which has a shroud so they are OK in bright sunlight anyway. The Nav 5 fits in the same holder and they are both intuitive with the bike and the hand wheel.

Radio and media is a waste of money - only works with certain headsets and the radio reception is poor, if you have twin comms for you and missus stick with them and save a grand!

only other thing worth considering but you will only know after a few thousand miles is Handlebar extenders - some report back ache due to the bar angle and stretch but it is very personal and depends on daily mileage.

The RT is a great bike but BMW have introduced car selling tactics to the bike world now that piss me right off - they have fairly bland basic colours and then fleece you for a decent colour - and the spec upgrades are grouped so that the additions you really want are in the more expensive packs. But they know its for a group of people fueling their passion for bikes so we cough up and pay the money - I think we are addicted because we still part with the cash and then the smiles overtake the frowns within a few miles!

Regards
Rik.

Thank you all for answers. You were very helpful.
@Riktus, You're totally right with the car approach in BMW motorrad. That surprised me the most. All jap bikes are fairly standard equipped only with very few possible extras, and they usually have full colour palette for free.
And I know I do not need all those extras, and definitely I will not spent over 1K for audio system, when I have comm with BT and radio. And I'm extremely happy with this set.
The one bit I think is worth that's the dynamic package and SOS button. I like the idea of the automatic emergency service. You never know what can happen.

Today I had a chance to seat on the RT with lower seat fitted, and I now know that's the bit I want to go.
Also I have answer for low seat option in the bikes built with standard one. Indeed you have to order seat separately. It is not possible for dealer to order low kit and send back standard. So If I want low one, there is 3 options, obviously found one with already fitted one (very hard), order from factory (long time waiting), or just order it extra and prey that dealer will give you discount on it :)

I've checked two dealers and I have some positive answers.
For now Cheltenham seems to be more flexible than Oxford and I probably will order from them. But definitely will give my big thanks for Oxford guys, as they been great.

An update.
So overall I placed order with my local guys.
When I went today to the dealership and told them that I will go somewhere else, they told me that they will try to at least match that one.
They beat it by slim margin. And I decided to accept iot and place order.
Of course I could call other one and try play that way, however at this point I thought it will be only marginal gains, and at some point I can more loose than win.

So I'm very happy person now :D

Back
Top Bottom