Considering to order R1250RT

Arek

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum but not new to the motorcycles.
As per subject of this thread I'm considering to order new 1250RT LE. Did the test ride and I liked the bike. Very different from my current Kawasaki Z1000SX but by no any means worst.

As all of you are experienced users of RT I have some probably silly questions :) from your point of view, but anyway I'll ask :D

I would like to order R1250RT LE plus lower seat (my legs are short),Dynamic package and top box. Is there something I should consider which make my life better/ easier?
Keyless option is gizmo which I do not consider for that price. I used keys for long time, and I still can do that way. Audio system from my point of view is not necessary. We have bluetooth comms, and they working very well for our needs.

The other one is related to dealers. Never before deal with BMW (even cars) so I have zero experience.
How flexible they are? What I can expect due to discounts, extra options?
With kawasaki I've got some bits, plus extra warranty plus some discount. How is that in the BMW world? Are they flexible or very strict?

I'm around Oxford, so the obvious one for me is North Oxford, however I do not mind travel further if others are better/ more flexible?
Anyway I want also visit Cheltenham BMW for comparison, but maybe you have some good advice in that matter also?

Thanks a lot.

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum but not new to the motorcycles.
As per subject of this thread I'm considering to order new 1250RT LE. Did the test ride and I liked the bike. Very different from my current Kawasaki Z1000SX but by no any means worst.

As all of you are experienced users of RT I have some probably silly questions :) from your point of view, but anyway I'll ask :D

I would like to order R1250RT LE plus lower seat (my legs are short),Dynamic package and top box. Is there something I should consider which make my life better/ easier?
Keyless option is gizmo which I do not consider for that price. I used keys for long time, and I still can do that way. Audio system from my point of view is not necessary. We have bluetooth comms, and they working very well for our needs.

The other one is related to dealers. Never before deal with BMW (even cars) so I have zero experience.
How flexible they are? What I can expect due to discounts, extra options?
With kawasaki I've got some bits, plus extra warranty plus some discount. How is that in the BMW world? Are they flexible or very strict?

I'm around Oxford, so the obvious one for me is North Oxford, however I do not mind travel further if others are better/ more flexible?
Anyway I want also visit Cheltenham BMW for comparison, but maybe you have some good advice in that matter also?

Thanks a lot.
North Ox have a lot of happy customers, even from Cheltenham & Glos. but I think that's because all the dealers keep an eye on each other. Freebies ? You have to ask, but don't always get. One thing that I've done on my last six or seven bikes, & straightaway, is get a protective film fitted, such as 3M Ventureshield. Bodyguard UK in Daventry are excellent & not far from you. And a front mudguard extender. The Mudsling company do one that doesn't require screw holes through the OE mudguard. https://www.nippynormans.com/mudguard-extenders

Picking up my new R1250RT SE Friday from Reiten Motorrad in Suffolk, from a dealer point of view would rate them best, discounts thin on ground, got reduction on sat nav, dealer recommended for customer service and with 3 year warranty now need a good dealer.
Bikes great, looking forward to Friday:thumb2

Thanks a lot Martyn.
I have plan visit Cheltenham anyway this Friday and have a chat about possible deal.
I know that extras are not always an option. Depend how popular the bike is. Get something for my Kawasaki was quite a challenge to be honest, but anyway I get some.
So we will see. I'm giving myself this weekend to do full research about possible deals in Chelt and Ox, and then will go for something.

If the differences will be not huge, I'll probably stick with Ox, as it is local for me. We will see.

Have one more bit to ask.
Currently I have TomTom Rider 550. How it is compared to BMW navi? Is it worth to go for it? I mean it is integrated with bike menu, and dashboard. With TomTom I have no idea how I even can mount it reasonable. I do not want to put handlebar RamMount when there is perfect place for it. Is there any fitting which can convert that space to mount TomTom?
Sorry for that silly question but I did not crawl all the internet looking for answers. I saw some mounting brackets going some kind of over dash (below screen. Sorry for probably bad explanation), but I'm not sure how good they are really.

Picking up my new R1250RT SE Friday from Reiten Motorrad in Suffolk, from a dealer point of view would rate them best, discounts thin on ground, got reduction on sat nav, dealer recommended for customer service and with 3 year warranty now need a good dealer.
Bikes great, looking forward to Friday:thumb2
How many dealers do you want ?

Thanks a lot Martyn.
I have plan visit Cheltenham anyway this Friday and have a chat about possible deal.
I know that extras are not always an option. Depend how popular the bike is. Get something for my Kawasaki was quite a challenge to be honest, but anyway I get some.
So we will see. I'm giving myself this weekend to do full research about possible deals in Chelt and Ox, and then will go for something.

If the differences will be not huge, I'll probably stick with Ox, as it is local for me. We will see.

Currently I have TomTom Rider 550. How it is compared to BMW navi? Is it worth to go for it? I mean it is integrated with bike menu, and dashboard. With TomTom I have no idea how I even can mount it reasonable. I do not want to put handlebar RamMount when there is perfect place for it. Is there any fitting which can convert that space to mount TomTom?
Sorry for that silly question but I did not crawl all the internet looking for answers. I saw some mounting brackets going some kind of over dash (below screen. Sorry for probably bad explanation), but I'm not sure how good they are really.
I have only ever owned Garmin, so not able to compare. I currently have a Nav 6, which is Garmin as you probably know, & it works well, & integrates with BMW's set up. Personally, I'd try for a deal on the Nav 6.

Currently I have TomTom Rider 550. How it is compared to BMW navi? Is it worth to go for it?.

The Nav6 is very good. It works in bright light conditions with a clear display and glare is much reduced. I use both the Nav6 and the Garmin Zumo 590. Not much in it, but I like the fact that the Nav6 is integrated both mechanically and elecronically into the bike. It offers the rider some more information about the bike too. So a vote of Yes from me for the Nav6, but not for the earlier Nav 5 and before. Why would you buy the latest 1250 and then fit an earlier Nav unit? The Nav 6 is a definate worthwhile improvement over previous iterations.

The Nav6 is very good. It works in bright light conditions with a clear display and glare is much reduced. I use both the Nav6 and the Garmin Zumo 590. Not much in it, but I like the fact that the Nav6 is integrated both mechanically and elecronically into the bike. It offers the rider some more information about the bike too. So a vote of Yes from me for the Nav6, but not for the earlier Nav 5 and before. Why would you buy the latest 1250 and then fit an earlier Nav unit? The Nav 6 is a definate worthwhile improvement over previous iterations.

The one I'm looking for is obviously Nav6 which is the current model for RT. The inside voice telling me that I don't need it as I have current TomTom model, which is also very good. The only bit which dragging me into Nav6 is the integration with bike. Special place prepared for it (which I probably can't use for TomTom, at least didn't found anything about conversion or adapters) and bike menu integration.
I'm try to convince myself it is the correct move :)

Thursday and Friday I have a plan visit two nearest BMW dealers and get some deals from both of them. Then decide which one is better for me, and Saturday go place order.

The one bit which is a bit weird for me. When I asked last time at dealer, I have to make factory order to have low seat option. I probably will be quite happy with one of the bike from UK stock, but none of them have low seat. I thought that it is the option which can be retrofitted at dealer like topbox, but they told me that I have to order from factory. Which increase waiting time significantly.
Do any of you know if that's true? Or just that guy at dealer had bad day and just told me bull...t.?

I know I'm comparing to Kawasaki all the time, but that one is the recent manufacture and dealership I dealt with. At them I can do order and lower seat option came separately without any fuzz. so why BMW require factory order for the bit which can be replaced within 5 min?

The one I'm looking for is obviously Nav6 which is the current model for RT. The inside voice telling me that I don't need it as I have current TomTom model,

Well, I kind of understand, but at the same time, I could argue, if you wanted to save that much money, you could have bought the 1200RT. It is worth having the integrated package.

Well, I kind of understand, but at the same time, I could argue, if you wanted to save that much money, you could have bought the 1200RT. It is worth having the integrated package.

It is my internal bean counter :) From the other side I want new 1250RT as I hope I will keep it for a bit of time. I agree with you totally. With this kind of money spending, savings on the crucial part for touring which is Sat Nav sound silly.
Just needed some confirmation of my personal thoughts really :)
I will keep TomTom for now, and will go for Nav6

It is my suspiscion your 'internal bean counter' will have even more problems over the next year when the farkle fairy visits...
Engine bars, Crash bars, Werks Quiet Ride replacement screen, Sargent seat, Clearwater lights, Headlight protector, Tankslapper protection film, LED headlight conversion, Machine Art Moto fender extender, Tank bag with tank ring, additional fuse block, auxiliary power sockets, battery tender, sidestand enlarger, Ilium Works Bar Backs, Ilium Gear shift extender, Radiator...etc!

It is my suspiscion your 'internal bean counter' will have even more problems over the next year when the farkle fairy visits...
Engine bars, Crash bars, Werks Quiet Ride replacement screen, Sargent seat, Clearwater lights, Headlight protector, Tankslapper protection film, LED headlight conversion, Machine Art Moto fender extender, Tank bag with tank ring, additional fuse block, auxiliary power sockets, battery tender, sidestand enlarger, Ilium Works Bar Backs, Ilium Gear shift extender, Radiator...etc!

You not really selling BMW for me :D
I can cross off the Tankbag - have one and ring will cost me £12 Yay!
The other bits are something which probably I will add at some point.
Especially the LED conversion for the lights. Now I have factory LED and just wondering how is that possible that BMW almost flagship bike still using halogens?!?! But that did not drag me out of the RT yet.

You not really selling BMW for me :D
I can cross off the Tankbag - have one and ring will cost me £12 Yay!
The other bits are something which probably I will add at some point.
Especially the LED conversion for the lights. Now I have factory LED and just wondering how is that possible that BMW almost flagship bike still using halogens?!?! But that did not drag me out of the RT yet.

Don't want to upset you, but your tank bag probably will not fit well. The tank is steep and the handle bars are very close on full lock :)

Don't want to upset you, but your tank bag probably will not fit well. The tank is steep and the handle bars are very close on full lock :)

LOL. Really you guys doing everything to drag me out :D

I'm joking. I am aware about potential expenses after purchase. And I know how much the bike is.
And to be honest I will not be considering it if I will not be able to afford it.
From the other side I try have some common sense with the purchase. Like most of us probably, I have some budget which I do not want to go over. That means I have to choose between some bits, and when I spec SatNav I have to save somewhere else. So that was my intention when I'm asked a question about TomTom vs Nav6. In my opinion definitely it's better to have dedicated and integrated bits, rather than not.

LOL. Really you guys doing everything to drag me out :D

I'm joking. I am aware about potential expenses after purchase. And I know how much the bike is.
And to be honest I will not be considering it if I will not be able to afford it.
From the other side I try have some common sense with the purchase. Like most of us probably, I have some budget which I do not want to go over. That means I have to choose between some bits, and when I spec SatNav I have to save somewhere else. So that was my intention when I'm asked a question about TomTom vs Nav6. In my opinion definitely it's better to have dedicated and integrated bits, rather than not.

When it comes to aftermarket extras, ride the bike first and then decide on what you need. Not everyone buys an aftermarket seat, handlebar risers etc. I do have a Werks screen though and have now fitted some extra spots and engine bars, but the screen came off my 2014 bike so I rode an RT for 4 years before changing to a 1250 and then adding the engine bars. I managed before with just cylinder guards and didn't drop it, but I decided my luck must be running out :)

The one I'm looking for is obviously Nav6 which is the current model for RT. The inside voice telling me that I don't need it as I have current TomTom model, which is also very good. The only bit which dragging me into Nav6 is the integration with bike. Special place prepared for it (which I probably can't use for TomTom, at least didn't found anything about conversion or adapters) and bike menu integration.
I'm try to convince myself it is the correct move :)

Thursday and Friday I have a plan visit two nearest BMW dealers and get some deals from both of them. Then decide which one is better for me, and Saturday go place order.

The one bit which is a bit weird for me. When I asked last time at dealer, I have to make factory order to have low seat option. I probably will be quite happy with one of the bike from UK stock, but none of them have low seat. I thought that it is the option which can be retrofitted at dealer like topbox, but they told me that I have to order from factory. Which increase waiting time significantly.
Do any of you know if that's true? Or just that guy at dealer had bad day and just told me bull...t.?

I know I'm comparing to Kawasaki all the time, but that one is the recent manufacture and dealership I dealt with. At them I can do order and lower seat option came separately without any fuzz. so why BMW require factory order for the bit which can be replaced within 5 min?
Confusion between a low seat & a "factory built lowered bike" with different suspension & stands ?

Confusion between a low seat & a "factory built lowered bike" with different suspension & stands ?

Maybe? It was Sunday, an hour before end of day for them, and some random salesman, not the one I usually chat.
I'm going tomorrow meet with the one I already spoke before, and exchanged some e-mails. I hope he will be able to answer my questions.

Maybe? It was Sunday, an hour before end of day for them, and some random salesman, not the one I usually chat.
I'm going tomorrow meet with the one I already spoke before, and exchanged some e-mails. I hope he will be able to answer my questions.
A "low seat" is just that. We used to have a few spare at work so colleagues who were a "little short in the leg" could just swap them over at the start of their shift, & at the end of the day swap them back.
A lowered model bike is indeed a factory ordered conversion, as there is quite a bit of work to it.

A "low seat" is just that. We used to have a few spare at work so colleagues who were a "little short in the leg" could just swap them over at the start of their shift, & at the end of the day swap them back.
A lowered model bike is indeed a factory ordered conversion, as there is quite a bit of work to it.

That's the bit I was very surprised. The "low seat" require minimum amount of work, and minimal costs, so ordering bike for this option from factory is quite long shot.
We will see what the dealers tell. I'll ask both of them I want to visit.

Back
Top Bottom