Cali T3 ignition timing......

Johno23

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ok chaps,Servicing the Cali at the moment.thought I would check the ignition timing,wanted to familiarise myself with it really. Now the bike has always started fine and seems to run well too.Although it is the only t3 I’ve ridden. You guys who are familiar with this job know that there is an idle timing mark on the flywheel and an advanced/ strobe timing mark on it. I put a test light on it and it lit up showing the timing to be advanced in fact it lit slightly before the advanced timing mark.The left hand pot was also showing to be advanced,but slightly less. Now obviously when the engine is running it will advance the timing more,so will still be quite advanced.
So, you guys who know these engines, are the timing marks regarded as accurate?so should be set accordingly,or do people set the timing more advanced than recommended as a general rule?possibly due to modern fuels, unleaded etc. As I said the bike seems to run ok, but perhaps it could be running a lot better.I am awaiting some gaskets at the moment but will get it running at the end of the week.It’s an easy enough job to retard the ignition but thought I could get some info from the usual suspects. :beerjug:

You really need somebody who knows what they are talking about but FWIW I've always timed mine up with a strobe.

The distributor can often been worn which gives less than accurate timing so it can be nigh on impossible to get the timing marks to both be cock on so I just end up fudging it as a sort of rough average between the two marks kinda way if that makes sense.........

Anyway, like I said, somebody will I'm sure be along that really knows what they are talking about :)

Andres

Well, seeing as nobody came along that really knew what they were talking about..................... What did you end up doing Johno?

Andres

Using a test lamp,I adjusted the distributor to the “D” idle mark on the flywheel to set the right hand cylinder,then with the distributor set, I adjusted the points(not the gap) of the left hand cylinder to the “S” idle mark. I then strobed it to check the advance timing which was fine.:thumb
Full service now done, all oils changed ,carbs sync,tappets.It feels great and pulls well.
My throttle cables were perfect,no resistance,and routed really well.Delorto do 3 different strength springs for the carbs,weak, medium and heavy.Apparently Guzzi always fitted the heavy. The springs are only £4 so I will get some and give it a go at some time.I think some of the “ stiffness” in the throttle is down to the two cable throttle mechanism on the handlebar.

:beerjug:

Using a test lamp,I adjusted the distributor to the “D” idle mark on the flywheel to set the right hand cylinder,then with the distributor set, I adjusted the points(not the gap) of the left hand cylinder to the “S” idle mark. I then strobed it to check the advance timing which was fine.:thumb
Full service now done, all oils changed ,carbs sync,tappets.It feels great and pulls well.
My throttle cables were perfect,no resistance,and routed really well.Delorto do 3 different strength springs for the carbs,weak, medium and heavy.Apparently Guzzi always fitted the heavy. The springs are only £4 so I will get some and give it a go at some time.I think some of the “ stiffness” in the throttle is down to the two cable throttle mechanism on the handlebar.

:beerjug:
er....
well my Cali 3 has the 2 cable set up and it's quite light. :nenau
Sorry to be a downer. :( . . . :comfort

Using a test lamp,I adjusted the distributor to the “D” idle mark on the flywheel to set the right hand cylinder,then with the distributor set, I adjusted the points(not the gap) of the left hand cylinder to the “S” idle mark. I then strobed it to check the advance timing which was fine.:thumb .............................................:

You were just joshing weren't you, you knew exactly what you were doing ;)

Glad she running sweet young man, they are lovely bikes aren't they :beerjug:

Andres

:D I had a good idea what I was doing ............but wanted someone like mikeyboy or steptoe who have done this before to confirm I was going down the correct route:blast It is a lovely bike to work on:thumb
I see Arsey is selling his, which is a shame.....

Back
Top Bottom