R1100GS - Engine cuts out at idle when hot.

brut33

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Bike starts from cold with no issues. Take it out for a long run, still no issues and running sweet.
Cover a hundred miles or so and the bike starts to cut out at junctions, red lights etc when at idle.
To avoid this I'm needing to keep the revs up while stationery otherwise it the engine cuts.

Recent work done last year.

New Hall sensor fitted.
Throttles balanced.
New air filter

I'd be grateful if anyone could shed some light on this problem.
Thanks in advance for any info.

Had similar symptoms in recent memory, mine turned out to be the lambda sensor in the y-pipe/cat

Went out for a blast this afternoon. I found it wouldn't tick over unless I increased the revs a tad by using the
choke lever thingy. I settled on leaving it at around 1,100rpm as a very temporary measure.

Dug this thread out when I got home. I gives me some things to work through.

https://ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/276848-Idle-Speed

Per the factory manual (for my 2000 R1150GS) idle speed is to be set at 1100rpm.

I suggest you adjust your valves and then balance your throttle bodies to produce the factory-specified idle speed for your 1100.

Per the factory manual (for my 2000 R1150GS) idle speed is to be set at 1100rpm.

I suggest you adjust your valves and then balance your throttle bodies to produce the factory-specified idle speed for your 1100.

Thanks for the info.:thumb2

I have my bike idle at 600-700 rpm, 1100 rpm is too manic and not good in summer when in traffic.. It also makes it easy to know when it's going out of balance/tune or any potential problems in the ignition/TPSl/fuel systems.

Update.

Valve cearances adjusted.
New sparkplugs.
Throttles balanced again.
New throttle position sensor fitted.

The valves, balancing and sparkplugs were done before the throttle position sensor was fitted and it still cut out.
When the sensor was fitted the bike now runs as it should. So this was the culprit.
Thanks everyone for your input and I hope this helps anyone else with similar 1100GS symptoms.

Update.

Valve cearances adjusted.
New sparkplugs.
Throttles balanced again.
New throttle position sensor fitted.

The valves, balancing and sparkplugs were done before the throttle position sensor was fitted and it still cut out.
When the sensor was fitted the bike now runs as it should. So this was the culprit.
Thanks everyone for your input and I hope this helps anyone else with similar 1100GS symptoms.

Just thought I'd post this to demonstrate how to check for a faulty throttle position sensor (this was on my bike).
The sensor is twisted using light pressure when the bike is at idle. If faulty, this procedure cuts the engine.

https://dl-mail.ymail.com/ws/downlo...5iccJFf2Pm-HqlStc6PmV_iM6asZX4cfRs6SV0fVQ9-o7

Back
Top Bottom