Improving LC Front End Handling?

Get the tyres changed.

I had this in the wet with A41s

Changed the bike for 1250, has A41s on and they are like different tyres. Maybe a faulty batch or maybe fitted badly.

I think it is the odd profile on the Anakees. My 1250 came with the Anakee Adventures, and I replaced them before 1000 miles with Roadtec 01s. The Anakees give an odd and disconcerting feeling once you start to lean into a bend, as if they are falling into the bend and making you lean over more than you want, to the point where I found I was having to correct and stand the bike up a bit mid-bend, and was particularly noticeable on roundabouts.

Comparing the profiles I think I can see why. The Anakees are relatively gently curved over the middle part, but curve more sharply the closer you get to the edge. This is probably more pronounced on the rear but I think the effect would still be felt at the front in the steering anyway, where the more you lean the more it seems to exaggerate your inputs to the steering. I can't imagine why they are like this, unless it is something to do with giving them a modicum of off road ability.

In contrast, the Roadtecs have what appears to be a completely uniform slope across the whole tyre so you get a predictable response to your steering inputs which, unlike the Anakees, does not vary depending on how far you lean.

I did read about the road tecs having a large contact patch which sort of adjusts itself with lean angle ( you know what i mean) which also makes them feel more planted and confidence inspiring

My bike is an LC with ESA and I noticed a significant change (for the worse) when I inadvertently set the damping to “Soft”. When I restored it to the “Normal” setting it felt much more stable and planted.

Tyre profile? Tyres can look fine but may be out of shape, different tyre make/type also has a dramatic affect. Over the years have spent a lot of money on bikes, suspension upgrades etc when THE biggest influence is the rubber.
Conti Road Attack 3 work very, very well on the GS. To the extent that several people from a recent trip are thinking of buying a GS (mostly Multi 1200 riders..) after seeing how stable and good handling the bike is. If fitted with Annakees? then dump them soon as.

Can I ask a few questions to the OP as 'washing out' is a very subjective term...

What were the circumstances?
On the brakes into a corner?
Coming off the brakes into a corner?
Trailing brakes into a corner?
On the throttle coming out of a corner?
How many times has it done it?
Is this your first BMW GS/A?
What was/is the depth of tread?
What is the make of tire?

To say a front tire washes out immediately implies lack of grip - which can point to either the tire itself or lack of weight over the front. After that it's the circumstances. On the brakes suggests being too heavy on the brakes into the corner, coming off the brakes suggests rebound and an old shock. You may also have hit something slippy mid corner, fuel or gravel - hence why I asked if it keeps doing it.

I'm going to go with tires (cheap fix), or given its a 2014; shocks. If they've never been serviced then they're at least 5 years old and the oil and gas in them could be shot.

Padge

Try rear preload set for rider and pillion. You're not exactly Twiggy .

What tyres are you running ? I had Trailriders on in Scotland in Easter on my planted GSA and had the front run wide a couple of times. Never a problem on Road 5s or on the Roadtec O1s I have now.

I run my GSA on rider plus luggage setting, cos I'm no Twiggy either

Try rear preload set for rider and pillion. You're not exactly Twiggy .

What tyres are you running ? I had Trailriders on in Scotland in Easter on my planted GSA and had the front run wide a couple of times. Never a problem on Road 5s or on the Roadtec O1s I have now.

I run my GSA on rider plus luggage setting, cos I'm no Twiggy either

Cheers
Tried the 1+luggage. did it again in the morning. Doesn't feel right (it's 75% in my feckin head).
Shocks seem good. Tyre is Conti trail attack. Was new when I got bike and about 4000 miles on it now.

Slow speed stuff is worst. Roundabouts etc

Might just splash out on a new front tyre.

I'm obviously not a very demanding rider (not meant sarcastically, just true) because I've never noticed any issues or lack of feel from the GS front end, just a very comfortable ride and the lack of dive under braking.

BTW, on the RT, GS, and GSA the front suspension is called Telelever and uses a single wishbone attached to fork-like sliders. The dual wishbone type Paralever arrangement as far as I know is now only on the K1600, and the now out of production K1200/1300

You know what I meant though and I have no objections to being corrected: accuracy is important. Luckily my 'in my head' problems was with the gearbox, not the front end. Sounds as though the OP needs to approach this issue one thing at a time.

Cheers
Tried the 1+luggage. did it again in the morning. Doesn't feel right (it's 75% in my feckin head).
Shocks seem good. Tyre is Conti trail attack. Was new when I got bike and about 4000 miles on it now.

Slow speed stuff is worst. Roundabouts etc

Might just splash out on a new front tyre.

The front will feel a bit 'tippy' when the profile is worn, tyres generally lose the lovely new tyre feel after 2500 then go downhill from there.
4000/5000mls is average from a set of tyres. Don't replace just the front as the rear will have squared off and will affect the feel as well.
Replace the tyres and see how it feels, if it still is not right then start looking at suspension starting with the rear.
If you are happy with the trail attacks stay with them, they are a good tyre.

4000 miles is enough for the feel and handling to go off.Just had similar experience with my GS, running road attack 3. I had been trying to get my moneys worth from the front, which looked fine with around 5k...changed the front and guess what? Back to brilliant handling.

Choice is run tyres to end of life, or change when handling goes off.

If it is an early LC without steering damper the rake is more to the damper version and I found did have a tendency to wash out under power and you just get used to a bit more counter steering input. If it is the early one the flywheel is also lighter . It was changed to a heavier one to help slow riding. Personally I`d fit the later PR5 or the Roadtec 01 and lift the rear to +1. If you are under 80kg and no luggage drop front pressure 2/3 psi .
Hope this helps......

4000 miles is enough for the feel and handling to go off.Just had similar experience with my GS, running road attack 3. I had been trying to get my moneys worth from the front, which looked fine with around 5k...changed the front and guess what? Back to brilliant handling.

Choice is run tyres to end of life, or change when handling goes off.

:thumby: New tyres always completely transform my GS.

OP ... what tyre pressures are you running? I've dropped mine a couple of psi from the factory recommended settings (36/42) and it's definitely reduced the vagueness that exists at the front.

Dropping the front tyre pressure makes the bike slightly slower steering and dropped too much will ruin the handling. Personally I dont like the feel if dropped below a maximum 2psi below on the front.
The only time my GS felt like the front could wash out was fully loaded with passenger, panniers, 52litre topbox, all filled to capacity. That was when moving house/country! and will not be repeated.
When tyres and suspension are right these are probably one the best handling road bikes on the market.
High speed stability I have had a gentle weave, but this was 130ish on an Autobahn with panniers, Kreiga 20 on back seat, screen up and big Rukka jacket causing extra wind resistance. Other than that 2014 and 2017 GS have both been the epitome of balance and stability. Defo affected by tyre wear and profile, but what motorcycle is not?

On a 2014 bike I'd definitely be thinking suspension overhaul unless it's very low mileage. It's now around 5 years old, doesn't time fly.

Back
Top Bottom