Final Drive and shaft rebuild

anglian001

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had to have my final drive and shaft rebuilt this week. Had a bit of a shock with the final bill of £883.28 but this did include a rear disc and crown wheel bearing!

Thought i would post so people know what to expect if they decide to have it done!

Thought the hexheads where indestructible, better quality steel, any idea why it failed, or was it just far to many miles on the bike, just wear and tear.

Yes pinion bearing replace as well i believe. It had been stood for around 3 years and the shaft was very corroded and notchy, which leaves me to believe this vibration lead to the final drive failing. It wasn't really bad and most likely would of been ok for a few more thousand miles. Parts were £375 not including the rear disc, bolts or crownwheel bearing.

Year and miles on bike please
Many thanks

my original one ongoing repair this week crown wheel bearings seem fine changing the pinion bearings only is the plan doing it myself mileage on unit actual is 122k was still perfectly usable just a fair bit of play in the pinion shaft. bike currently has a second unit fitted. Would anybody want to buy the special pin tool for driving the pinion bearing retainer in and out, similar to bmw tool number 33 1 711. Mate got the program in the machine at the moment but this will only be possible in the short term so let me know asap if you want one.

I'll ask again, who did the work ?
I don’t mind,
I did it.
The final drive had a complete rebuild,all 4 bearings,new seals,o’rings casing bolts etc
This in itself is a £500 touch these days,with a parts bill alone of over £300,
I also replaced both paralever pivot bearings and supplied a new inboard trunnion
I also supplied and fitted an OE brembo disc and new bolts.
The driveshaft underwent a complete refurb with new u/j’s at both ends.

I don’t mind,
I did it.
The final drive had a complete rebuild,all 4 bearings,new seals,o’rings casing bolts etc
I also replaced both paralever pivot bearings and supplied a new inboard trunnion

Seeing the stuff you do, If I was in the UK my bike would never see BMW, it would be straight to you..................:thumb2:thumb2

I don’t mind,
I did it.

And let’s not forget there is @£150 vat to be paid.
The chancellor made more on the job than me for doing sweet fuck all:D

Can i just say that the post wasn't suppose to be negative in anyway, just highlighting the cost if yours needs doing!
I have learnt that BMW parts are not cheap and as i said i was very happy with the work and support given. Mikey is a great bloke and really helped me out, even meeting after work to to collect.

I’ll just add,
Peeps seem happy to knock businesses for what they charge,
And some may well overcharge,but,,,,
I don’t think you will find any bike repairer as transparent as us,,on major builds we even post a rebuild thread on a public forum to be scrutinised.:D
I’ve just had my insurance renewal quote £3.5k:blast
I have rent,power,wages,NI,vehicle costs,equipment repairs,lease agreements on cleaning equipment,tools to be bought and replaced,all before I earn a penny.
And my costs are a drop in the ocean compared to a main dealer.
Just sayin,like:comfort

Back
Top Bottom