Final Drive and shaft rebuild

I’ll just add,
Peeps seem happy to knock businesses for what they charge,
And some may well overcharge,but,,,,
I don’t think you will find any bike repairer as transparent as us,,on major builds we even post a rebuild thread on a public forum to be scrutinised.:D
I’ve just had my insurance renewal quote £3.5k:blast
I have rent,power,wages,NI,vehicle costs,equipment repairs,lease agreements on cleaning equipment,tools to be bought and replaced,all before I earn a penny.
And my costs are a drop in the ocean compared to a main dealer.
Just sayin,like:comfort

You do a fantastic job

I don’t mind,
I did it.
The final drive had a complete rebuild,all 4 bearings,new seals,o’rings casing bolts etc
This in itself is a £500 touch these days,with a parts bill alone of over £300,
I also replaced both paralever pivot bearings and supplied a new inboard trunnion
I also supplied and fitted an OE brembo disc and new bolts.
The driveshaft underwent a complete refurb with new u/j’s at both ends.

Wish you were based in central Scotland. :thumb2

Wish you were based in central Scotland. :thumb2

Drain, remove, box, send - Recieve, remove, fit, fill - Job done.

Thats what i did, and i'm the geographic other end of the country ;)

Drop Mikeyboy a mail and have a chat -

For me , other than going away mid refurb the process was straighforward,
We had a chat about what needed doing,
revised the dates to meet me being away, paid the money and that was it :)

My experience of having similar work done is that Mikey is the best value. It looks like a lot of cash, and it is, but relative to other options it is better

........................I’ve just had my insurance renewal quote £3.5k:blast..........................

That sounds like a hell of a lot. My commercial cover for a bonded warehouse and bottling facility including stock cover of £2,000,000 and public liability etc. was only £5,900.

Have you tried shopping around or is it just that you're in the "motor trade"?

Having removed & inspected both propshaft & F/D from my gsa I am frankly amazed they don’t fail more often even when a modest 100hp is being pushed thru them. Anyway posted them both off to Mikeyboy who posted them back having repaired both. He seems the kind of chap who just gets on with it no fuss, never met him mind. However a second hand prop with 70k miles on it will have a £300 asking price from some bmw parts suppliers so me thinks what it cost was very fair & reasonable I wouldn’t hesitate to use his services again

Thanks for an honest answer Mike, I presumed it might have been you. Your reputation for quality work is well known.

I am genuinely interested and not being flippant as at 50k my 2008 GSA gearbox sounds like a bag of spanners in neutral (excess endfloat?), the FD has slight play at the rear wheel and I think one driveshaft UJ needs replacing (to be confirmed). The rest of the bike is fine.

I'm thinking of doing a mid-life refit ready for next years foreign jaunt, perhaps along with new Wilbers shocks and Keihan headers. Way cheaper than trading my hexhead for a newer LC GSA.

Thanks for an honest answer Mike, I presumed it might have been you. Your reputation for quality work is well known.

I am genuinely interested and not being flippant as at 50k my 2008 GSA gearbox sounds like a bag of spanners in neutral (excess endfloat?), the FD has slight play at the rear wheel and I think one driveshaft UJ needs replacing (to be confirmed). The rest of the bike is fine.

I'm thinking of doing a mid-life refit ready for next years foreign jaunt, perhaps along with new Wilbers shocks and Keihan headers. Way cheaper than trading my hexhead for a newer LC GSA.

probably last longer too!

Might be worth checking all is well with coils etc etc,before pulling the gearbox,
Might just be a poor idle setting the rattle off

Hard to imagine anyone who’s had any dealings with Mikey being disappointed - the man is very experienced, nay talented, absolutely open and also very forthcoming with advice.
I’ve had lots of work done by Mikey and Charlie - never felt overcharged or let down.
Any problems they’ll sort you out.

PS Plenty of folk who know what’s what have the same opinion.
There’s a reason why he has a reputation!!!:thumby:

Might be worth checking all is well with coils etc etc,before pulling the gearbox,
Might just be a poor idle setting the rattle off

Thanks Mike, engine is smooth and idle speed is nice and steady. The coils are quite new, as are plugs. Its only in neutral and sounds like the gears are rattling about on their shafts, which is why I wonder about wear and excessive endfloat.

If anything, I over-service my bikes so gear oil is fresh and regularly changed. Gear shifting when on the move is still nice and smooth. I fitted a used but good low-miles driveshaft about 3 years ago as one rear hardy-spicer joint was becoming notchy. This needs checking again.

I did spend years with it sometimes running a bit rough until I eventually ironed it all out with a remap, coils, tps, plugs, balance etc and I feel that may have put some strain on the gearbox (that and my 'enthusiastic' riding style).

I don’t mind,
I did it.
The final drive had a complete rebuild,all 4 bearings,new seals,o’rings casing bolts etc
This in itself is a £500 touch these days,with a parts bill alone of over £300,
I also replaced both paralever pivot bearings and supplied a new inboard trunnion
I also supplied and fitted an OE brembo disc and new bolts.
The driveshaft underwent a complete refurb with new u/j’s at both ends.

sounds like a really good price for that amount of work ,you'd be looking to double that at main dealer

When the FD of my 2005 R12GS needed a rebuild after having done only 50000 km, I was obviously not amused about the fact as such and the associated cost to get it fixed. The blame for this is entirely on BMW as they seem to have gone a bit far in their intend to shave of weight when going from the 1150 to the 1200.
In that situation I was very glad that I could turn to Mikey to get job done. It was a pleasure to deal with him, he gave me good advice over the phone before I had removed the FD and did not mind to do the extra effort of paperwork required when sending it back to me to Norway after overhaul.
The parts that went into cost what they cost and I felt that I was charged a very fair price for parts, work and know how required. I have recommended Mikey's work to others afterwards and will continue to do so.

How many sets of chain/sprockets would a big powerful bike use in 50,000kms....and at what cost?

Sent from a U11

I agree, and I comforted myself with the same thought. However, when purchasing the bike I paid a premium for the fact that it has a shaft drive which should last the life of the bike and as stated by BMW at the time should not even require oil change.

When the FD of my 2005 R12GS needed a rebuild after having done only 50000 km, I was obviously not amused about the fact as such and the associated cost to get it fixed. The blame for this is entirely on BMW as they seem to have gone a bit far in their intend to shave of weight when going from the 1150 to the 1200.
In that situation I was very glad that I could turn to Mikey to get job done. It was a pleasure to deal with him, he gave me good advice over the phone before I had removed the FD and did not mind to do the extra effort of paperwork required when sending it back to me to Norway after overhaul.
The parts that went into cost what they cost and I felt that I was charged a very fair price for parts, work and know how required. I have recommended Mikey's work to others afterwards and will continue to do so.

I also sent my FD to Mikey when it failed after 70000Km. He did a super job on the rebuild and I would recommend him to all my friends for a FD re build. The price and service was second to none.

I think sir will find that the quality remains when the price is long forgotten, whether Saville Row suits or Boxer refurbs.

Back
Top Bottom