Mission - WW2 Germany

So, arrived in Bremerhaven, found a hotel at the right price - Hotel Columbus fairly close to city centre with plenty of restaurants nearby. Maybe not the most salubrious area of town but clean, comfy and with some covered parking. There was a Persian restaurant just over the road and the only thing I recognised on the menu was kebab. It was excellent!

Next morning, rode down to see Deutsches Schiffahrts Museum (German Maritime Museum) which was undergoing reconstruction, hence only 3 euros admission. I thought it was going to be crap but one of the guides told me about a Virtual Reality experience centred on the Polarstern, a German Antarctic survey vessel. The display was brilliant, first time I'd done a VR. Outside, there were loads of other ships of all ages which you could clamber aboard so all in all, a well spent 3 euros :thumb2

Across the river was what I'd really come to see - a Type 21 U-boat, the only one of its kind still in existence. Had to stump up another 3 euros but again, well with it.

The Type 21 were the first submarines designed to operate primarily submerged, rather than spending most of their time as surface ships that could submerge for brief periods as a means to escape detection. They incorporated a large number of batteries to increase the time they could spend under water, to as much as several days, and they only needed to surface to periscope depth for recharging via a snorkel. Looking at the Type 7C in Laboe, this was light years ahead, like a cruise liner compared to a barge.

Everything was streamlined, no unnecessary protrusions which made it very much more difficult to detect. Look how sleek she is:

Inside, plenty of headroom especially in the control room. The periscope was state of the art, new Carl Zeiss optics with increased magnification

She had 62 huge battery cells with an output of 5400 Ah. Some poor bugger had to lie on this sliding platform and top 'em up (and don't drop the spanner). You can see another bank of batteries below this one

And at the back there was a 34 hp silent 'creeper motor' which drove the single screw at low revs via a series of belts. Again, undetectable

After the war, the Yanks took one of these subs and based their first nuclear submarine on the design.

Fortunately (or unfortunately for the Kriegsmarine) the Type 21 came just too late to make a difference to the outcome of the naval conflict. Had they been introduced a year earlier, who knows?

As a result of the Luftwaffe's loss of control of the skies over Germany, and the increasing effectiveness of Allied bombing raids, production of the Type 21 was planned to be on a production line basis. Parts were to be made all over Germany and then assembled in an enormous bomb-proof bunker about 30 miles upstream of Bremerhaven. This was the Valentin Bunker and I went to have a look at it. It's difficult to describe the massive scale of this megastructure

Up to 8 Type 21s were to be built at a time, and the last construction bay could be flooded to test for water tightness, engine run-ups etc. Then the completed boat was launched directly into the River Weser and off she went to war

Once more, time ran out for the Nazis and the bunker was never completed, largely due to RAF raids with Blockbusters and Grand Slams which proved that it wasn't really bomb-proof after all. A Grand Slam sliced through 3 metres of concrete here and wrecked the inside of this particular bay

And that brought me to the end of the trip. Next, ride to Ijmuiden to catch the ferry to Newcastle, then across to Cairnryan for the last lap back to Northern Ireland. I had a day to spare, so stayed at a Travel Lodge type place near Zwolle in the Netherlands. Finally relented and used the motorway. Encountered a huge thunderstorm with gale force winds and I think it's the only time on a bike where I've aquaplaned sideways :eek:

Discovered that my route to Amsterdam took me through Arnhem so managed to squeeze in a last museum :D This was the Arnhem War Museum, another private collection with loads of stuff that the owner had found in and around the town, as well as some other donated artefacts like this Harley

and this Beech 18

So. finally time to load up and leave for Ijmuiden

The DFDS ferry left early and arrived on time and was very comfortable

Farewell mainland Europe, see you again next year

Travelled 2250 miles in 2 weeks, the bike never missed a beat.

Hope you've enjoyed my ramblings :aidan

Great thread, hope to do something similar one day

Thanks for posting, really enjoyable read and some great pics :thumby:

Enjoyed that Shuck; good ratio of words to pictures. Not been to Germany for a few years now; and you have just wetted my appetite for a trip. I share your sentiment about being glad to leave the concentration camps; but we all need reminders from time to time.:beerjug:

As its a Saturday night and crap on the TV your ride review was a breath of fresh air. Thanks for posting from a fellow F700GS owner

Excellent Ride Report. I think you'd enjoy the two major museums at Sinsheim and at Speyer next trip ��

Look forward to next report ��

Thanks for all the positive comments and suggestions. Should have mentioned that the Fw190, Blockbuster bomb etc were housed in the Aviation Museum in Hannover-Laatzen, well laid-out museum and a great way to spend a few hours:thumb2

Now decompressed from the trip and looking forward to next year to who knows where :D

Thanks for posting. Really enjoyable.

Regards Allan F

Back
Top Bottom