Clutch slipping?

My clutch has started to smell a bit. I've gone from loads of motorway riding to city commutes. I try to not keep it in gear at the lights and such and try not to short shift. I've seen clutch plates on ebay if I do need to change it but looked at you tube and OH MY LORD! you have to brake the bike in half, My Honda Varadero took about an hour and I didn't lose any oil doing it as I was able to do it on the side stand.
Has anyone done a clutch and how hard was it? I'm not saying that I need one yet, but it's worth knowing what is involved and how many spanners on the Haynes manual it is, by the look it's about 12 spanners and 11 10mm sockets.

Clutch swap...

It's not that bad, it's all nuts and bolts and common sense.

The bike does need to be split in half, the worst part is that the back end comes off with the centre stand, so you need some form of support for the engine. I used a big plank with wooden blocks under the engine, ratchet straps over cylinders onto the plank to prevent it falling over sideways or backwards....

After that its lots of photos, methodical stripping down and take your time, easily done in a leisurely weekend....

Good luck.....

Roger.

It's not that bad, it's all nuts and bolts and common sense.

The bike does need to be split in half, the worst part is that the back end comes off with the centre stand, so you need some form of support for the engine. I used a big plank with wooden blocks under the engine, ratchet straps over cylinders onto the plank to prevent it falling over sideways or backwards....

After that its lots of photos, methodical stripping down and take your time, easily done in a leisurely weekend....

Good luck.....

Roger.

I agree with Roger and even had a loan of his clutch alignment tool :thumb although mine was to do my old 1150GS, I think there are just more bits to take off and put back on with the 1200, but it is just a case of unscrewing bits and screwing bits back on :D

Back
Top Bottom