Oil Cooler Guards

DeuceBG

Reaction score
Does anyone know whether the Mounting Points for a GSA Guard are different to that on a GS?
I've just bought one for my 2007GSA and it's got a Mounting Lug each side at the top but there's nothing to fix it to on the Bike :nenau

Zip ties?

Possibly, but it's not ideal.
Foolishly I assumed that the Lugs on the Guard I was ordering were there for a reason, obviously not...Unless of course there are corresponding Bolts on the GS?

Looks as though there are two different Mounts according to Model / Year.
I've gone n bought the wrong one.....Bugger!! :blast

On the 2008 onwards ( aka marks 2 & 3) there is a 'spolier' fitted over the cooler (black for a gsa, silver for a gs) which is held on by 2 x 6mm screws. The correct guard has 2 lugs which are bolted on using these 2 screws. The previous (mark1 ) needs a different cover and
that can be held on by using 2 cable ties. I know it's a bit late now...but its always worth a quick check on the microfische just to make sure before buying parts!

On the 2008 onwards ( aka marks 2 & 3) there is a 'spolier' fitted over the cooler (black for a gsa, silver for a gs) which is held on by 2 x 6mm screws. The correct guard has 2 lugs which are bolted on using these 2 screws. The previous (mark1 ) needs a different cover and
that can be held on by using 2 cable ties. I know it's a bit late now...but its always worth a quick check on the microfische just to make sure before buying parts!
You're quite right Alan, I should have checked.
It's only a £16 Chinese Jobbie anyway, but after a bit of "Adaptation" I've now just managed to get it fitted with the aid of........A couple of Cable Ties!! :D
Not ideal cos it's not quite the right shape and I'm missing the all-important "A", but no dramas, if it stops a Gritty Bullet getting at my Oil Cooler it'll have done its Job eh? :thumby:

Attachments

• IMG_0914.jpg
    IMG_0914.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 164
TBH i would say there isnt enough air flow through that one, prob half the surface area is blocked off.

TBH i would say there isnt enough air flow through that one, prob half the surface area is blocked off.

A good point! Cymark make two which would seem to allow much greater airflow, they are over 40 quid each though. I currently use an R&G guard which has a mesh type centre section. Alan

whats cheaper a 40 quid guard, or a cooked engine? Its not even good for winter use as the system has a thermostat anyways so that sorts that out.

Quite a few years ago, well 8. I was looking at oil cooler guards and thought they do look to block air quite a bit. Luckily for me I have a daughter who is an aeronautical engineer so asked her to look at a few for airflow. Surprisingly some blocked as much as 50% air flow with average around 15 to 25%. Best was Wunderlich which stands off the actual rad and allows air flow to "come back together" So thats what I fitted...

I was thinking the same thing, a friend called round on a recently acquired 2010 an I touched the oil cooler guard and it was pretty hot! Whether or not that is increasing performance through more surface area radiating the heat is above my pay grade:confused:

Back
Top Bottom