Recommendations for a week in Ireland (this July)

Bonzo

Reaction score
Bit of a last minute thing, but I find myself with a week off next month and Ive never been to Ireland (North or South).

I could go over on the ferry and depart/arrive at either Dublin/Belfast.

Any recommendations on where to go/stay for a week?

I need a good bit of scenic riding, sightseeing, a few places of local interest, and a night or two testing the Guinness.

What say you?

You can't go wrong with the wild Atlantic way. I'd try to stay in Dingle and Westport.
The Beara peninsula is very scenic and make sure you take in the Healy pass.

Sent from my COR-L29 using Tapatalk

Sightseeing wise, the best the country has to offer is in the south, west and north of the country. Quieter roads then in the east as well. You can reach any part of the country in a day's riding too - so you've got plenty of choices. When you decide where to go - let us know and we'll point you to more specific spots and roads to ride (and what ones to avoid).

I just brought a group of 8 bikes / 11 peeps down around the Killarney (Co. Kerry) area for five days - with the help of some local knowledge from lads on here, we found some lovely back roads off the beaten track with some drop dead gorgeous scenery. The well known Ring of Kerry is only the tip of the iceberg - there's much much more to see...

Couple of years with back the same group we rode Dublin to Galway, then south through Co. Clare and the Burren, eventually staying three nights in Killarney. Happy to pass on the highlights of places we stopped and route we took if ye want...

If you go west from Dublin you'll get to enjoy Galway, Connemara, the Atlantic coastline. Also a bit quicker to get to than the likes of Killarney. Some great roads out this way too, good tarmac, little traffic and top scenery.

Further north you've got Sligo, and Donegal - again, lovely rugged coastlines. Fair few places of interest to see such as Glencar waterfall etc.

Lads from 'Norn Ireland' will be better versed in giving you tips for that part of the world, but the Antrim coast road, Bushmills distillery, Giants Causeway, NW200 heritage are all very popular with bikers.

Most important thing is to aim for quality not quantity - keep yer daily mileage low (average pace round here is slowish) and have plenty of time for stopping to see the sights/do the fun stuff. Oh, and sample the Guinness every evening along the way...:thumb2

Got to say the West is best:

Westport, Achill, Doolin, Leenane etc, all joined up by the Wild Atlantic Way so no need for maps, just follow the road signs.

I wouldn’t stay in one place, just do a round Ireland coastal trip and take it all in. Just book each nights accommodation as you go. Easily done in a week.

Sightseeing wise, the best the country has to offer is in the south, west and north of the country. Quieter roads then in the east as well. You can reach any part of the country in a day's riding too - so you've got plenty of choices. When you decide where to go - let us know and we'll point you to more specific spots and roads to ride (and what ones to avoid).

I just brought a group of 8 bikes / 11 peeps down around the Killarney (Co. Kerry) area for five days - with the help of some local knowledge from lads on here, we found some lovely back roads off the beaten track with some drop dead gorgeous scenery. The well known Ring of Kerry is only the tip of the iceberg - there's much much more to see...

Couple of years with back the same group we rode Dublin to Galway, then south through Co. Clare and the Burren, eventually staying three nights in Killarney. Happy to pass on the highlights of places we stopped and route we took if ye want...

If you go west from Dublin you'll get to enjoy Galway, Connemara, the Atlantic coastline. Also a bit quicker to get to than the likes of Killarney. Some great roads out this way too, good tarmac, little traffic and top scenery.

Further north you've got Sligo, and Donegal - again, lovely rugged coastlines. Fair few places of interest to see such as Glencar waterfall etc.

Lads from 'Norn Ireland' will be better versed in giving you tips for that part of the world, but the Antrim coast road, Bushmills distillery, Giants Causeway, NW200 heritage are all very popular with bikers.

Most important thing is to aim for quality not quantity - keep yer daily mileage low (average pace round here is slowish) and have plenty of time for stopping to see the sights/do the fun stuff. Oh, and sample the Guinness every evening along the way...:thumb2

He's right,we had a fantastic time over there. Sean pulled all the stops out to take us on some great roads,apart from the track up to Priests Leap....... Fuckin adventure bike riders!:aidan

Thanks for moving this mods.

Posted in the wrong place cos I'm a bit of a bell end.

apart from the track up to Priests Leap....... Fuckin adventure bike riders!:aidan
What :eek:
That's one of the best roads in the country :bounce1

The general premise is good but way too many main roads :blast With the very odd exception N roads are to be avoided unless you need to get somewhere fast(ish :augie) R roads & L/ unclassified are your friend - less traffic, generally more scenic & way more fun
If you're doing more minor / country roads work on the basis of 60kpm / 35mph average speed. Despite what you might think you won't do much more than that. And that's without the odd stop for a cup of tay ;)

And finally - ENJOY !! :aidan

I took advantage of a bit of decent weather yesterday morning to do a loop walk from Portballintrae to The Giants Causeway. The walk along the beach and cliffs to get there was lovely but Mark Twain hit the nail squarely on the head when he remarked that The Giants Causeway is "worth seeing, but not worth going to see". If you do go, it is free to visit. You do not have to pay to go in via the Visitor Centre, although you could easily be caught out. You will have to pay to park. You can park more cheaply at the mini railway next door (£6 I believe) of do what I did and park at Portballintrae for free and enjoy the walk. Might not be so good in full bike gear mind you!
http://www.walkni.com/walks/2557/portballintrae-causeway-loop/

Don't leave out the North Coast, visit the GOT sites, do the A2 Coast Road on in to Donegal where you can pick up the WAW. Much quieter roads then down south and plenty nice roads!

Look at Richy Vida's TouTube channel as they did a tour of Ireland last year.

Thanks for the words guys. I watched (most of) Richy Veda's Ireland trip, and it looks truly amazing!

Ive pretty much decided my dates are gonna be into Belfast on Wednesday morning and returning from Rosslare to Fishguard the following Monday morning (with a ride through Wales on route to friends in the Midlands). So its just the bit in the middle I need to sort now.

I'm not gonna be blessed with the time that Richy & the gang had (though Ill be on my todd, so that'll save some faffing time), but can I get enough in in 5 days riding without riding like a lunatic? :nenau

Thanks for the words guys. I watched (most of) Richy Veda's Ireland trip, and it looks truly amazing!

Ive pretty much decided my dates are gonna be into Belfast on Wednesday morning and returning from Rosslare to Fishguard the following Monday morning (with a ride through Wales on route to friends in the Midlands). So its just the bit in the middle I need to sort now.

I'm not gonna be blessed with the time that Richy & the gang had (though Ill be on my todd, so that'll save some faffing time), but can I get enough in in 5 days riding without riding like a lunatic? :nenau
Sure you don't have to to do it all in one go. You can come back again, even after brexit..

Sent from my COR-L29 using Tapatalk

..... Mark Twain hit the nail squarely on the head when he remarked that The Giants Causeway is "worth seeing, but not worth going to see"..../[/url]
Twas Samuel Johnson
BOSWELL, I know not why, shewed upon all occasions an aversion to go to Ireland, where I proposed to him that we should make a tour. JOHNSON. "It is the last place where I should wish to travel." BOSWELL. "Should you not like to see Dublin, Sir?" JOHNSON. "No, Sir; Dublin is only a worse capital." BOSWELL. "Is not the Giant's-Causeway worth seeing?" JOHNSON. "Worth seeing, yes; but not worth going to see."
Boswell: Life of Johnson

With 5 days to play with I'd consider going around the WAW from Belfast as far as Galway or Limerick maybe. Doing the whole lot will end up just being an endurance ride of Ireland without getting to see the bits most worthy of your attention.

I hear ya Hatcho :thumb

..and like neiljitso says, can always come back another time :D

I hear ya Hatcho :thumb

..and like neiljitso says, can always come back another time :D

Exactly!

Rough idea of a route:

Wednesday: Belfast to somewhere in Donegal (Letterkenny or Dunfanaghy) via the coast road

Thursday: Donegal to Foxford via Bundoran, Glencar, Strandhill and Ballina (waterfall in Glencar, ice cream in Bundoran)

Friday: Foxford to Salthill via Achill Island, Westport, Leenane, Maum, Maam Cross (great scenery along here)

Saturday: Salthill to Foynes via Kinvarra, Ballyvaughan, Corofin, Lahinch, ferry to Tarbert, onto Foynes. (the Burren, Father Ted's house, Cliffs of Moher all on or near route)

Sunday: Foynes to Kilmore Quay via Mallow, Fermoy, Dungarvan, Passage East (another wee ferry), Hook Head (lighthouse)

The above probably isn't the best route, but its one of many options...

Strandhill is a nice coastal town with a popular beach - great beachside cafe there where you can grab a coffee and an ice cream - especially nice if the weather's good. Road to Glencar waterfall is a nice spin with some great views along the way.

I suggested Foxford as I have stayed in a B&B there several times and both the establishment and the owners are top notch. Foxford's a nice wee village with decent pubs (great Guinness) and has lovely roads in just about every direction from it. If time permits, do venture out to Achill Island - it's well worth the detour to get an ice cream at Keem Bay. View from the top of Minaun is amazing on a clear day - just be sure its not a windy one!

thats it alright. about half or maybe a little less of the wild atlantic way in that time frame. Any more than that and you miss the experience.

Back
Top Bottom