New R1250RT today

Well, by contrast. I did a comparison of a couple of 1250's against my 2017RT.
a/ gearboxes felt identical - both good. Also, both bad inasmuch as they both graunch horribly going into 1st gear from neutral once the engine is anything other than stone cold!
b/.
c/. exhaust sounds the same (all bikes had Akra's fitted).
d/.
e/. Yep, I like the 1250 feature of automatic suspension settings. I ride a lot with and without pillion.
f/. Hill start is interesting. I have never ridden off with it selected. I always just pull the front brake lever and ride off normally.
g/. I didn't notice the increase in torque from pulling away from stationary. However, for roll on acceleration in each gear, the 1250 really shows itself. It is much quicker in that respect.

At the moment, apart from the suspension, it offers me no attraction. However, if they did something astounding with the headlight (OEM LED's for example), that might draw me. I ride a fair bit at night and I love bright, but VERY WELL DIRECTED lights.

a/ gearboxes felt identical - both good. Also, both bad inasmuch as they both graunch horribly going into 1st gear from neutral once the engine is anything other than stone cold!
b/.
d/.
e/. Yep, I like the 1250 feature of automatic suspension settings. I ride a lot with and without pillion.
f/. Hill start is interesting. I have never ridden off with it selected. I always just pull the front brake lever and ride off normally.
g/. I didn't notice the increase in torque from pulling away from stationary. However, for roll on acceleration in each gear, the 1250 really shows itself. It is much quicker in that respect.

At the moment, apart from the suspension, it offers me no attraction. However, if they did something astounding with the headlight (OEM LED's for example), that might draw me. I ride a fair bit at night and I love bright, but VERY WELL DIRECTED lights.

Like I said, from my 2014 light and Day.

b/.
d/.

The 2016 gear-boxes & the 2017 'boxes are light years apart. Which is why I mentioned the model year.

I've just done over 700 miles on mine (second sunny day since I picked it up!). I can only compare it to my 2015 RS - I'd say there is less of a clunk going into first when warm, but other than that I haven't noticed a great difference. On the RS there was a pronounced and satisfying blip on the throttle from the quickshifter when changing down, but I hardly hear it at all on the RT. On the other hand the exhaust note seems to be much "raspier" when opened up a bit - or is it just that I can hear it now? (RS wind noise was terrible). The hill start is much better - I always felt as though I would stall on the RS unless embarrassingly high revs were used. Still trying to get used to how sharp the front brake is compared to the Brembo on the RS - when slowing to a stop it's much less progressive, surprising a few car drivers behind at times.... Also still trying to work out how a few extra bits of plastic (riding without panniers) can add so much weight - the RS is a surprisingly light bike it would seem.

I've just done over 700 miles on mine (second sunny day since I picked it up!). I can only compare it to my 2015 RS - I'd say there is less of a clunk going into first when warm, but other than that I haven't noticed a great difference. On the RS there was a pronounced and satisfying blip on the throttle from the quickshifter when changing down, but I hardly hear it at all on the RT. On the other hand the exhaust note seems to be much "raspier" when opened up a bit - or is it just that I can hear it now? (RS wind noise was terrible). The hill start is much better - I always felt as though I would stall on the RS unless embarrassingly high revs were used. Still trying to get used to how sharp the front brake is compared to the Brembo on the RS - when slowing to a stop it's much less progressive, surprising a few car drivers behind at times.... Also still trying to work out how a few extra bits of plastic (riding without panniers) can add so much weight - the RS is a surprisingly light bike it would seem.
I agree 100% re the lack of drama on the Hill Start compared to the older version. Re the gearboxes, the one in my 2016 was the worst 'box I have ever used, & I've owned 17 BMW's since 1972, & ridden more than a few at work. However, it did seem to be a bit of a lottery, because I also have an Iconic RT, which was only 400 VIN numbers apart from the above mentioned horror, & that is very acceptable. And yes, I think the exhaust note is a little "fruitier" than previously.

Still trying to get used to how sharp the front brake is compared to the Brembo on the RS - when slowing to a stop it's much less progressive, surprising a few car drivers behind at times....

I agree. I hope to get used to it... I miss the progressive feel I've come to expect from modern brakes.

Back
Top Bottom